Devon Applegate Caton
AssociateDevon Applegate Caton’s practice involves government enforcement actions, complex commercial and restructuring disputes, and civil litigation relating to federal securities laws. Devon’s clients have included individual officers and directors, shareholders, hedge funds, private equity firms, publicly-traded companies, and retailers in informal disputes, chapter 11 proceedings, and litigation in state and federal courts. Devon collaborates with colleagues across practices and maintains an active pro bono practice, particularly representing clients seeking asylum.
- Represented multiple fund advisers against claims of excessive fees under the Investment Company Act of 1940 (PIMCO, Metropolitan West Asset Management, T. Rowe Price), including successfully serving as counsel to Metropolitan West Asset Management in 2018 bench trial.
- Represented fixed income and equity mutual fund advisers in connection with SEC enforcement inquiries into a variety of issues, including potential cross trades and valuation issues.
- Represented hedge fund in corporate governance dispute with directors, officers, and shareholders of early stage natural gas company.
- Represented Reebok in an expedited adversary proceeding regarding a contract dispute between Reebok and the debtor, resulting in a settlement.
- Represented major pharmaceutical and medical device companies in False Claims Act litigation involving alleged kickbacks, off-label marketing, and manufacturing violations.
- Regularly represent private equity, venture capital, and investment management clients in SEC investigations and compliance matters including matters relating to fiduciary duty issues arising out of their receipt of fees and payment of certain expenses, as well as disclosures related to conflicts of interests.
- Regularly represent private equity, hedge fund, venture capital, and public company clients in corporate governance and transactional disputes.
- JD, cum laude, Boston College Law School, 2016; managing editor, Environmental Affairs Law Review
- BA (History, French), cum laude, Colgate University, 2011
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2016
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit, 2019