Gavin F. Alexander
Gavin is an associate in the firm’s special situations practice group. He has experience representing a range of asset managers, hedge funds, private equity funds, institutional investors and other clients on both traditional and unconventional transactions, including co-investments, distressed asset acquisitions, cross-border investments, litigation financing investments, joint ventures, and secondary acquisitions of fund interests. Gavin has also represented private fund advisers and family offices on various aspects of their businesses, including launching and restructuring hedge funds, credit funds and private equity funds, Advisers Act registration and regulation, eventual sales and wind-downs, and a wide range of additional regulatory, compliance and operational matters.
From 2016-2018, Gavin served as Co-Chair of the Massachusetts LGBTQ Bar Association, and he presently serves on the Board of Directors of the National LGBT Bar Association and the Massachusetts Equal Justice Fund. Prior to joining the firm, Gavin served as a law clerk to the Honorable Ralph D. Gants at the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court. During law school, Gavin worked as an intern at the Boston Regional Office of the Securities and Exchange Commission, served as a senior editor of the Harvard Journal of Law & Technology, and spent two years researching, drafting, and editing the first edition of a treatise for the United States Department of the Treasury’s Bureau of the Fiscal Service.
- Advises credit and health care royalty manager on fundraising, structuring, and launching multiple closed-end investment funds with up to $2 billion in targeted commitments.
- Advises one of the nation’s oldest and largest hedge fund managers on matters relating to the purchase, sale and management of various investments, including bankruptcy claims, and on negotiating contractual arrangements with various service providers.
- Advises multiple institutional investors (including sovereign wealth funds, foreign pension plans, and various private funds and separately managed accounts) on structuring and negotiating co-investment opportunities offered by private equity sponsors and secondary acquisitions of closed-end fund interests.
- Advises several hedge fund and private equity fund managers on SEC registration and ongoing compliance and regulatory issues, including advising on compliance policies and procedures, regulatory filings, and other day-to-day compliance issues unique to private fund managers.
- Featured, “Excellence in the Law: Up & Coming Lawyers,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (April 29, 2019)