Kevin J. Angle
Kevin Angle is counsel in the privacy & cybersecurity group, based in Ropes & Gray’s Boston office. He represents a broad range of companies on privacy and cybersecurity matters, guiding clients through the existing patchwork of U.S. federal and state laws, including ECPA, TCPA, FCRA, HIPAA, CAN-SPAM, GLBA and state breach notification and information security laws. In the event of a privacy or security breach, Kevin guides clients through incident response. He also represents clients during the investigations that may ensue following a breach, by regulatory authorities and others. Kevin has significant experience responding to regulatory and payment card brand inquiries and performing intensive fact and forensic investigations.
A Certified Information Privacy Professional, Kevin leverages his prior experience in litigation to provide clients with risk-conscious advice. Kevin helps clients to anticipate and address potential areas of legal exposure and to structure breach responses and privacy programs to minimize potential liability.
Kevin also has an active pro bono practice, which has included direct representation of clients in asylum matters, including individuals fleeing religious persecution. Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Kevin worked as a Staff Attorney for the Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem representing clients in misdemeanor criminal proceedings. Prior to law school, Kevin worked as a Legislative Correspondent for Senator Christopher J. Dodd of Connecticut.
- Advises companies on data privacy and cybersecurity issues, including compliance with FTC Act, TCPA, CAN-SPAM, HIPAA, state notification and data security laws, and PCI DSS.
- Advises companies on response to data loss and ransomware attacks, including third-party data losses.
- Develops policies for responding to cybersecurity incidents.
- Represented Fortune 500 Companies in responding to card brand and regulatory inquiries stemming from highly publicized data security breaches occurring in 2014 and 2015.
- Represented Fortune 100 Insurance Company in litigation and governmental inquiries in response to criminal cyber attack.
- Co-author, “Increased Enforcement Activity Underscores Need for Firms to Conduct Rigorous Cybersecurity Oversight,” Wolters Kluwer’s Securities Regulation Daily (May 24, 2018)
- Quoted, “Inside Track,” Law.com (January 24, 2018)
- Author, “EU Privacy Regulator Group’s First Annual Privacy Shield Report—Ensuring a Future for the EU-U.S. Data Transfer Regime,” Bloomberg BNA’s Privacy Law Watch (January 22, 2018)
- Co-author, “Global Perspectives On High Court Microsoft Warrant Case,” Law360 (January 10, 2018)