Lee E. Allison
Lee Allison’s practice encompasses the United States federal income tax aspects of domestic and international mergers and acquisitions, including leveraged acquisitions; private equity, venture capital and mezzanine debt fund formations; private equity and venture capital investments; and securities offerings. He has also worked on matters involving the restructuring of financially distressed companies. More recently, Lee has been advising clients on the tax implications of legislation passed in response to the COVID-19 outbreak, including the Families First Coronavirus Response Act and the CARES Act.
- Represented TPG Growth and JMI Equity on the sale of portfolio company PowerPlan Inc. (a software company) to Thoma Bravo.
- Represented Specialty orthopedics company Wright Medical Group Inc. in its offering of $632.5 million of cash convertible senior notes and its notes hedge transactions and warrant transactions.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its acquisition of Telestream, a Nevada City, Calif.-based provider of live and on-demand digital video tools and workflow solutions, from Thoma Bravo.
- Representing specialty orthopedics company Wright Medical Group Inc. in its proposed all-stock, cross-border merger with Amsterdam-based Tornier N.V., a global medical device company focused on orthopedic surgical solutions (and the surviving company), with a combined equity value of $3.3 billion.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its sale of Insurity Inc. to TA Associates.
- Represented IMS Health Holdings Inc. in connection with its initial public offering, which generated proceeds of $1.5 billion to IMS Health and the selling stockholders, including TPG Capital, CPP Investment Board, and Leonard Green & Partners.
- Represented Audax Group in its $900 million recapitalization and combination transaction for a diagnostics and laboratory services company with a strategic and a financial partner. And represented Audax Group in several other acquisitions, divestitures and combination transactions (ranging in value from less than $100 million to several hundred million).
- Represented HIG Capital in its $392 million tender offer to acquire American Pacific Corporation (AMPAC), a leading custom manufacturer of fine chemicals and specialty chemicals.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in its minority investment in the acquisition (by the majority investor) of Pabst Brewing Company, with the total cash investment having been reported to be in excess of $700 million.
- Represented TPG (who led a group of investors) in an investment of more than $450 million in Airbnb Inc., valuing the home-rental site at $10 billion (according to reports).
- Represented Bain Capital in its sale of Applied Systems, Inc. to Hellman & Friedman for approximately $1.8 billion.
- Represented Michael’s Stores in its planned initial public offering of shares worth approximately $500 million, with Michael’s Stores being the leading arts and crafts retailer in North America and a portfolio company of Bain Capital and the Blackstone Group.
- Represented Alexion Pharmaceuticals in its $1.08 billion acquisition (including milestones) of Enobia Inc.
- Represented HIG Capital in its acquisition of the business of Arctic Glacier Income Fund (CNSX: AG.UN) for $435 million.
- Represented KarpReilly in the sale of Bob’s Discount Furniture to Bain Capital for a reported amount around $350 million.
- Represented American Industrial Partners and its portfolio company Waterjet Holdings, Inc. in a $200 million acquisition of Flow International Corporation (Flow), a developer and manufacturer of industrial waterjet machines.
- Represented KarpReilly in its sale of Miller’s Ale House to Roark Capital Group in a transaction reported to be around $300 million.
- Represented KarpReilly in the sale of Ollie's Bargain Outlet to CCMP Capital Advisors LLC in a transaction reported to be around $500 million.
Represented Wright Medical Technology in its $290 million sale of its OrthoRecon Business to China-based MicroPort Medical BV, a subsidiary of MicroPort Scientific Corp.
- Represented GT Advanced Technologies Inc. in its acquisition of Thermal Technologies.
- Represented Avaya Holdings in a notes exchange offer involving an aggregate principal amount of $1.38 billion.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in its acquisition of Planet Fitness Holdings, LLC.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in its sale of two leading hair care companies (SexyHair and Kenra) and a third hair care brand (Alterna) to German consumer products company Henkel, with an aggregate deal value of approximately US$370 million.
Represented Caraustar Industries, Inc., a portfolio company of HIG Capital, in its acquisition of The Newark Group, Inc.
- Represented HIG Capital in its $519 million acquisition of Caraustar Industries, Inc., a leading provider of recycled paperboard and related products.
- Represented HIG Capital in its $200 million acquisition of A10 Capital, a commercial real estate lender.
- Represented American Industrial Partners and its portfolio company Allied Specialty Vehicles in the acquisition from Navistar of its Monaco, Holiday Rambler and R-Vision recreational vehicle businesses.
- Represented TPG Growth in its growth equity investment in SurveyMonkey, Inc., an online market research and survey company, and in certain subsequent transactions of SurveyMonkey, Inc..
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its $147 million acquisition of KMT Group, a global leader in the design and manufacture of products utilizing ultrahigh-pressure pump technology in industrial manufacturing, etc.
- Represented American Industrial Partners and its portfolio company Allied Specialty Vehicles in the $100 million acquisition of Thor Bus Division from Thor Industries.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its acquisition of LexisNexis Risk Solutions insurance software division creating new company Insurity Inc.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its acquisition of Acrisure, LLC, a Michigan-based retail insurance brokerage firm. Acrisure is one of the leading privately owned insurance agencies in the Midwest.
- Representing Avaya Holdings in its planned initial public offering of shares worth approximately $1 billion. Avaya is a portfolio company of TPG Capital and Silver Lake.
- Represented Avaya in its $1 billion 144A high yield offering.
- Represented TWCC Holding Corp, the cable-television company that owns The Weather Channel, in its approximately $1.7 billion refinancing. TWCC is a portfolio company of the Blackstone Group and Bain Capital and also owned in part by NBC Universal.
- Represented Michaels Stores, Inc. in the issuance and sale of $800 million in new senior notes and the related tender offer for the company’s then outstanding senior notes. Michaels Stores is a portfolio company of Bain Capital and the Blackstone Group.
- Represented a consortium of buyers in the $223 million (asset) acquisition (for tax) of an iconic restaurant chain and one of its franchisees
- Represented Affiliated Managers Group Inc. in its acquisition of Highbury Financial, the public company parent of Aston Asset Management.
- Represented Castanea Partners in its purchase of a minority investment in Fitness Anywhere LLC.
- Represented Huntsman Gay Global Capital in its acquisition of Sunquest Information Systems, Inc., a provider of health care information systems.
- Represented KarpReilly in its acquisition of Adrianna Papell LLC, a woman’s clothing manufacturer.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in its acquisition of Kenra, Ltd., a producer of hair care products.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in its sale of Smashbox Beauty Cosmetics, a provider of beauty care cosmetics, to Estee Lauder Companies Inc.
- Lee Allison, Kat Gregor and Andrew Yarrows, “When Down the Hall Becomes Across State Lines—Part 2,” Bloomberg Tax (October 23, 2020)
- Lee Allison, Kat Gregor and Andrew Yarrows, “When Down the Hall Becomes Across State Lines—Part 1,” Bloomberg Tax (October 22, 2020)
- Moderator, “Annual Private Investment Funds Tax Master Class”, New York City.
- “Current Topics in Corporate Tax”, panelist, New York State Bar Association Tax Section Annual Meeting, January 25, 2011, New York City.
- JD, Northwestern University Pritzker School of Law, 1997; Managing Editor, Northwestern University Law Review
- BA, University of Pennsylvania, 1992
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 1998
- Legal 500 (2015-2016)