Michael Allen re-joined the corporate department as an associate in 2015. He focuses his practice in the real estate investments & transactions group. He has represented institutional real estate investors, domestic and foreign private equity funds, public and private REITs, endowments, and investment banks in connection with a variety of matters including complex acquisitions and dispositions, mortgage and mezzanine financings, loan modifications, repurchase facilities and joint ventures involving a wide range of real estate asset classes including office, self storage, hotel, data center and mixed-use properties.
Prior to re-joining the firm, Michael founded RaceWire LLC, an endurance sports company focused on online registration, results and media for marathons, bike races and other endurance events. While working at RaceWire, Michael helped the company reach number 600 on the Inc. 5000 list of fastest growing private companies. The company eventually sold to a portfolio company of a private equity sponsor.
Michael interned for the Hon. Merita A. Hopkins of Massachusetts Superior Court while in law school. In this role, Michael helped research and draft a variety of rulings.
- Represents sellers (private and public real estate investment trusts and other private entities) and buyers (major commercial banks) in negotiating, closing and restructuring master repurchase facilities to finance commercial real estate loans.
- Represents Bain Capital Real Estate in evaluating, negotiating and structuring real estate investments mainly through joint ventures with various operators and managers.
- Represents Harvard Management Company, the investment advisor for the Harvard University endowment in acquisitions and dispositions, development, and financings of various real estate assets, and in negotiating and structuring real estate investments through joint ventures with sponsors, operators and managers.
- Representing various nationally recognized private equity sponsors in their acquisition and disposition of portfolio companies, with deal sizes ranging from $10 million to $4 billion, in a wide variety of industries.
- Represents the distressed investment division of one of the largest private equity firms in multiple fast paced acquisitions of individual performing and non-performing loans.
- Co-author, “Commercial real estate in the United States,” Practical Law (December 2018)
- Michael Allen, “Antitrust Health Care Law – No Agreement Between Alleged Sherman Act Conspirators Results in Upholding of Summary Judgment,” 7 Suffolk University Journal of Health & Biomedical Law 573 (2012)
- JD, summa cum laude, Suffolk University Law School, 2012; comment editor, Journal of Health & Biomedical Law
- BA, magna cum laude, Stonehill College, 2008; Omicron Delta Epsilon, Phi Alpha Theta
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2012