Emily Brown is a partner in the asset management group. Emily advises private equity, real asset and venture capital sponsors on fundraising, managed accounts and the capital-raising process, as well as on executive and employee co-investment arrangements, and the wider elements of operating a private funds business. With broad expertise across fund jurisdictions, including the United Kingdom, Luxembourg and the Channel Islands, she advises both sponsors and major institutional investors on a wide range of matters in the investment funds sphere including fund formations, fund investments and co-investments. In addition, Emily regularly represents major institutional investors in relation to complex fund investments, separate managed accounts, anchor fund commitments and co-investments across a broad range of asset classes.
Emily has been recognized as a Next Generation Partner by The Legal 500 UK in Investment Fund Formation and Management: Private Funds and is listed in the Chambers UK Spotlight Table in Investment Funds: Private Equity: Venture Capital. Emily is also featured in Private Equity International’s The Future 40 — a list recognizing the rising stars steering the private equity industry. She has been described by interviewees in Chambers UK, The Legal 500 UK and Private Equity International as “exceptional,” “practical, commercial and always on top of her brief” and “the definition of a trusted counsel.” One interviewee stated that “Emily Brown is exactly what you would look for in your external counsel. She is both proactive and responsive, she really learns what your organisation’s risk appetites are and guides you through your investments on that basis.” Another interviewee stated “What is great is how hands-on she is as a partner and how much energy she brings to it.”
- “Advice and Aspirations for the Future of PE,” Private Equity International (May 1, 2020)
- “Raising Funds Remotely: Can You Raise Millions Without a Handshake?” Private Equity International Women in Private Markets Summit (November 2020)
- “Finding the Right Co-Investment Partner — What LPs and GPs Look For,” Sahar Global Summits 2nd Annual Secondaries & Co-Investments Summit (October 2020)
- “Private Markets Outlook & Private Equity,” Private Equity (& Debt) Investors' Annual Conference, London (December 2019)
- “What Do the Rise of Megafunds Mean for Fundraising in Other Areas of the Market?” Private Equity International Women in Private Equity Forum, London (November 2019)
- “Secondaries, Co-Investments, & Fund of Funds,” Markets Group 3rd Annual Private Equity U.S. Fall Forum, San Francisco (October 2019)
- “Key Trends – Private Equity/Closed-Ended Funds,” IBA 20th Annual Private Investment Funds Conference, London (March 2019)
- Moderator, “Developing a Successful Fundraising Strategy,” Private Equity International Women in Private Equity Forum, London (November 2018)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LPC, with distinction, BPP Law School, 2005
- GDL, with commendation, BPP Law School, 2004
- BA, Honours, New College, Oxford, 2002
Admissions / Qualifications
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2008