Lisa H. Bebchick
Lisa Bebchick is a partner in Ropes & Gray’s litigation and enforcement practice group. Lisa’s practice focuses on complex commercial and real estate litigation and white collar criminal defense and regulatory matters, including securities enforcement and internal investigations. She has represented individuals and institutions in connection with myriad high-stakes issues, including multi-million dollar criminal and civil forfeiture proceedings and related matters. She has also represented clients in connection with SEC, FINRA, US Attorney’s Office, and Office of the New York Attorney General investigations and has represented clients who were victims of investment frauds in attempting to recover losses and in defending against clawback actions brought by bankruptcy trustees.
Lisa regularly advises corporate clients in connection with pre-litigation contractual disputes, due diligence, and whistleblower claims, and has extensive experience handling bulge bracket bank regulatory work. Lisa has substantial experience in state and federal courts at the trial and appellate levels, as well as in mediation and arbitration.
Lisa has done pro bono work for The Innocence Project, an organization dedicated to providing pro bono legal services to individuals seeking to prove their innocence of crimes for which they have been convicted and the Correctional Association of New York, an independent non-profit organization that advocates for a more humane and effective criminal justice system. Lisa also filed an amicus brief to the United States Supreme Court in Fisher v. University of Texas on behalf of the Anti-Defamation League.
Lisa is Co-Chair of Ropes & Gray’s Women’s Forum and a hiring partner for the New York office.
- Global Investment Bank. Counsel to financial institution in connection with parallel SEC and US Attorney’s Office investigations into alleged insider trading activity concerning the distribution of material non-public information.
- Global Investment Bank. Counsel to global investment bank in connection with investigation brought by the NYSE relating to alleged violations of regulatory requirements relating to the surveillance of electronic communications.
- Global Private Equity Firm. Represent global private equity firm in multiple lawsuits alleging fraudulent conveyance, piercing the corporate veil, and other claims in connection with the recapitalization of a European portfolio company.
- New York-based Hedge Fund. Lead counsel to hedge fund in connection with SEC insider trading investigation.
- Global Investment Bank. Counsel to global investment bank in connection with FINRA investigation relating to SEC rules regarding record retention.
- Chief Operating Officer of Financial Services Firm. Counsel for Chief Operating Officer of division of multinational financial services firm in connection with FINRA investigation focused on complex securities product sold to retail investors.
- Registered Representative of Global Financial Services Firm. Counsel for individual investment adviser in connection with FINRA investigation into certain non-traditional exchange traded fund (ETF) transactions.
- Investment Management Company. Represent investment management company in connection with arbitrations commenced before FINRA by retail customers alleging violations of the securities laws and FINRA rules.
- Technology Company. Lead counsel to New York-based technology company that operates an on-line ride-sharing platform in various matters, including with respect to an Article 78 petition in New York Supreme Court challenging a NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission rule and in connection with a regulatory matter involving the City of Chicago Bureau of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection related to criminal background checks for drivers.
- Portfolio Company of Global Private Equity Firm. Represent portfolio company of global private equity firm in connection with dispute concerning commercial lease in New York City.
- Outdoor Advertising Companies/CEO. Counsel to CEO and several related business entities in breach of contract case in Delaware Chancery Court arising from joint venture entered into with a leading financial institution to jointly own interests in companies with valuable outdoor advertising assets.
- Environmental Services Companies. Represent environmental services companies in connection with litigation in Delaware Chancery Court concerning the breach of a share purchase agreement and on appeal to the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Forfeiture Claimant. Lead counsel for the spouse of the former CEO of a public company who was convicted of securities fraud in connection with civil and criminal forfeiture proceedings, as well as related bankruptcy proceedings and class action and derivative litigation.*
- Investment Banking Professionals. Lead counsel for a chief compliance officer of major investment bank in connection with a FINRA investigation related to microcap securities,* a senior compliance officer in connection with an SEC investigation,* and three employees of the bank in connection with a FINRA investigation.
- Major investment bank. Lead counsel for major investment bank in connection with a Wall Street-wide investigation by FINRA related to allegations that banks violated rules prohibiting equity research analysts from participating in efforts to solicit investment banking business.*
- Commercial Production Company. Lead counsel for the principal of a leading commercial production company in connection with a criminal investigation by the United States Department of Justice, Antitrust Division.*
- Semiconductor Manufacturer. Lead counsel for a semiconductor manufacturer in connection with an internal investigation in Mexico related to allegations of bribery of customs officials in violation of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA).*
- Educational Institution. Lead counsel for an elite New York City private school in connection with a New York Supreme Court Article 78 proceeding challenging a multi-million dollar campus renovation project.
- Non-Profit Organization. Lead counsel for not-for-profit established to develop and operate a park and performance venue planned for a pier in the Hudson River Park on the west side of Manhattan, which is funded by the largest philanthropic giftof US$140 million to a public park in New York City history in connection with New York Supreme Court Article 78 proceeding challenging the project.*
- Principals of Real Estate Company. Lead counsel for the controlling ownership of a real estate company in connection with AAA arbitration proceeding concerning a dispute over shareholder agreement with minority owner.*
- Real Estate Trade Organization. Represented trade organization with over 13,000 members in connection with state commission investigation into public corruption.*
Representations denoted with an asterisk were completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.
- Co-author, “What’s Up With WhatsApp? The Retention of Work-Related Messages,” New York Law Journal (February 25, 2021)
- Co-author, “Parallel Civil Litigation: US Perspective,” Global Investigations Review: The Practitioner’s Guide to Global Investigations (2021)
- Quoted, “The NLJ 500: Where Are Women Winning?” The National Law Journal (June 23, 2020)
- Co-author, “Delaware appraisal decisions,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (December 5, 2018)
- Co-author, “Chancery court allows Straight Path stockholders to pursue direct claims against company's former controlling stockholder,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (October 17, 2018)
- Co-author, “Delaware courts consider whether minority stockholders are controllers: Oracle and Tesla reviewed,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (October 3, 2018)
- Co-author, “New York Supreme Court enjoins Xerox acquisition,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (September 12, 2018)
- Co-author, “Real Estate Regulatory Look Ahead 2017,” RANE (Risk Assistance Network & Exchange) (March 7, 2017)
- Author, “Served with a Grand Jury Subpoena: 10 Steps Organizations Should Take,” RANE (Risk Assistance Network & Exchange) (October 12, 2016)
- Co-author, “Beware of Zombies! Trados Decision Urges Caution in Sale of VC-Backed Companies,” NACD Directorship (November/December 2013)
- Co-author, “Forfeiture on the Rise: Government Grabs Skyscrapers,” New York Law Journal (November 7, 2013)
- Co-author, “Galleon-Era Cases Shape Insider Trading Landscape,” New York Law Journal (May 2, 2013)
- Moderator, “Northeast Region Panel,” American Bar Association Annual National Institute on White Collar Crime, California (March 2016)
- Speaker, “Matters of Privilege: Pitfalls and Challenges in Privilege Law for In-House Counsel,” Asian American Bar Association of New York Fall Conference, New York (September 2011)
- JD, magna cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2001; Member, Boston University Law Review
- BA, cum laude, University of Pennsylvania, 1998
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- Chambers USA (2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2019-2021)
- Corporate Counsel “Women’s Legal Awards – Private Practice” (2020)
- Legal 500, White Collar Criminal Defense (2016)