Lisa H. Bebchick
Lisa Bebchick is a partner in Ropes & Gray’s litigation and enforcement practice group. Lisa’s practice focuses on complex commercial, securities, and real estate litigation and white collar criminal defense and regulatory matters, including securities enforcement and internal investigations. She has represented individuals and institutions in connection with myriad high-stakes matters, including multi-million dollar criminal and civil forfeiture proceedings and related litigation. She has also represented clients in connection with SEC, CFTC, FINRA, US Attorney’s Office, and Office of the New York Attorney General investigations.
Lisa regularly advises corporate clients in connection with pre-litigation contractual disputes, due diligence, and whistleblower claims, and has extensive experience handling bulge bracket bank regulatory work. Lisa has substantial experience in state and federal courts at the trial and appellate levels, as well as in mediation and arbitration. Lisa has done pro bono work for The Innocence Project, an organization dedicated to providing pro bono legal services to individuals seeking to prove their innocence of crimes for which they have been convicted, and the Correctional Association of New York, an independent non-profit organization that advocates for a more humane and effective criminal justice system.
Lisa is recognized by Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business for General Commercial Litigation; clients describe her as "super detail-oriented, super smart and very pleasant to work with." She was also recently profiled in Corporate Counsel’s ‘Women, Influence & Power in Law’ report, which honors women who have demonstrated a commitment to advancing the empowerment of women in law.
Lisa is Co-Chair of Ropes & Gray’s Women’s Forum and a hiring partner for the New York office.
Commercial, Securities, and Real Estate Litigation
- Counsel to global investment bank and more than 40 of its current and former directors and officers in a stockholder derivative action filed in the Commercial Division of the Supreme Court of New York, alleging foreign-law breach of fiduciary duty and related secondary liability claims based on allegations that the individual defendants failed to properly supervise the bank and its employees for over a decade.
- Counsel to leading international and domestic medical education institutions in connection with breach of contract lawsuit filed in the Commercial Division of the New York Supreme Court in connection with a long-term affiliation agreement to operate a transnational medical education program; achieved dismissal of the two main claims in the case and argued case on appeal to the First Department of the New York Appellate Division, which issued a decision affirming the lower court’s ruling in its entirety.
- Counsel to financial services firm in connection with breach of contract action filed in federal court in the Southern District of New York, alleging that the firm breached a sale and purchase agreement by intentionally undermining the performance of certain exchange-traded funds (ETFs), thereby reducing the potential performance-based earn out payments under the agreement.
- Counsel to a group of 14 underwriter defendants in connection with class action securities litigation filed in federal district court in Nevada, alleging violations of Sections 11 and 12(a)(2) of the Securities Act of 1933 based on alleged misstatements made in offering documents for two secondary public offerings.
- Counsel to a global private equity firm in lawsuits brought in the Southern District of New York and the Commercial Division of the New York Supreme Court, alleging fraudulent conveyance, piercing the corporate veil, and other claims in connection with the recapitalization of a European portfolio company.
- Counsel to New York-based technology company that operates an on-line ride-sharing platform in connection with an Article 78 petition in New York Supreme Court challenging a NYC Taxi & Limousine Commission rule.
- Counsel to CEO and several related business entities in breach of contract case in Delaware Chancery Court arising from joint venture entered into with leading financial institution to jointly own interests in companies with valuable outdoor advertising assets.
- Counsel to environmental services companies in connection with litigation in Delaware Chancery Court concerning the breach of a share purchase agreement, and on appeal to the Delaware Supreme Court.
- Counsel to an elite New York City private school in connection with New York Supreme Court Article 78 proceeding challenging a multi-million dollar campus renovation project.
- Counsel to not-for-profit established to develop and operate The Little Island, a park and performance venue in the Hudson River Park in Manhattan which is funded by the largest philanthropic gift to a public park in New York City history, in connection with New York Supreme Court Article 78 proceeding challenging the project.*
Representative White Collar/Regulatory Matters
- Counsel to global investment bank in connection with parallel SEC and US Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York investigations into alleged insider trading.
- Counsel to global investment bank in connection with FINRA investigation into alleged failures to comply with SEC record retention rules for almost twenty years.
- Counsel to global financial services firm in connection with CFTC investigation into trading and disclosures surrounding swap, futures, and exchange traded funds (ETF) products.
- Counsel to biopharmaceutical company in connection with SEC investigation regarding trading surrounding the announcement of clinical trial results.
- Counsel to asset management company in connection with a grand jury subpoena issued by the New York County District Attorney’s Office relating to whether a company and its management inflated the value of securities marketed to investors.
- Counsel to leading biopharmaceutical equity research analyst in connection with FINRA investigation related to conflicts of interest.
- Counsel to global investment bank in connection with investigation by the NYSE into alleged violations of regulatory requirements relating to the surveillance of electronic communications.
- Counsel to individual investment adviser at global financial services firm in connection with FINRA investigation relating to customer trading in non-traditional exchange traded funds (ETFs).
- Counsel to investment management company in connection with retail customer arbitrations commenced before FINRA alleging violations of the securities laws and FINRA rules.
- Counsel to New York-based technology company in connection with regulatory matter involving the City of Chicago Bureau of Business Affairs and Consumer Protection related to criminal background checks for drivers.
- Counsel to ex-spouse of former CEO of public company convicted of securities fraud in connection with civil and criminal forfeiture proceedings, as well as related bankruptcy proceedings and class action and derivative litigation.*
- Counsel to real estate trade organization with over 13,000 members in connection with New York state commission established to investigate public corruption.*
- Counsel to major investment bank in connection with a Wall Street-wide investigation by FINRA related to allegations that banks violated rules prohibiting equity research analysts from participating in efforts to solicit investment banking business.*
Representations denoted with an asterisk were completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.
- Quoted, “Texting Should Be Allowed; Firms Just Need Policies in Place: Lawyers,” Financial Advisor IQ (July 23, 2021)
- Co-author, “What’s Up With WhatsApp? The Retention of Work-Related Messages,” New York Law Journal (February 25, 2021)
- Co-author, “Parallel Civil Litigation: US Perspective,” Global Investigations Review: The Practitioner’s Guide to Global Investigations (2021)
- Quoted, “The NLJ 500: Where Are Women Winning?” The National Law Journal (June 23, 2020)
- Co-author, “Delaware appraisal decisions,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (December 5, 2018)
- Co-author, “Chancery court allows Straight Path stockholders to pursue direct claims against company's former controlling stockholder,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (October 17, 2018)
- Co-author, “Delaware courts consider whether minority stockholders are controllers: Oracle and Tesla reviewed,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (October 3, 2018)
- Co-author, “New York Supreme Court enjoins Xerox acquisition,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (September 12, 2018)
- Co-author, “Real Estate Regulatory Look Ahead 2017,” RANE (Risk Assistance Network & Exchange) (March 7, 2017)
- Author, “Served with a Grand Jury Subpoena: 10 Steps Organizations Should Take,” RANE (Risk Assistance Network & Exchange) (October 12, 2016)
- Co-author, “Beware of Zombies! Trados Decision Urges Caution in Sale of VC-Backed Companies,” NACD Directorship (November/December 2013)
- Co-author, “Forfeiture on the Rise: Government Grabs Skyscrapers,” New York Law Journal (November 7, 2013)
- Co-author, “Galleon-Era Cases Shape Insider Trading Landscape,” New York Law Journal (May 2, 2013)
- Panelist, “The Proliferation of Text and App-Based Messaging: A Discussion of the Legal Landscape & Practical Guidance for Financial Firms,” SIFMA Compliance & Legal Annual Seminar (July 21, 2021)
- Panelist, “The Proliferation of Text and App-Based Messaging,” Enforcement Express Roundtable Series (July 15, 2021)
- Speaker, “2021 DOJ Enforcement Priorities Under U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland,” Ropes & Gray Podcast (March 26, 2021)
- Speaker, “Crackdown in Lockdown? Regulatory Landscape in the UK and U.S. as Impacted by COVID-19,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (October 15, 2020)
- Moderator, “Northeast Region Panel,” American Bar Association Annual National Institute on White Collar Crime, California (March 2016)
- Speaker, “Matters of Privilege: Pitfalls and Challenges in Privilege Law for In-House Counsel,” Asian American Bar Association of New York Fall Conference, New York (September 2011)
- JD, magna cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2001; Member, Boston University Law Review
- BA, cum laude, University of Pennsylvania, 1998
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- New York Law Journal – Innovation Award for leadership of the firm’s Women’s Forum and mentorship of women and diverse lawyers (2021)
- Chambers USA (2020-2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America – Criminal Defense: White Collar (2019-2022)
- Corporate Counsel “Women’s Legal Awards – Private Practice” (2020)
- Legal 500, White Collar Criminal Defense (2016)