Sam Badawi’s practice focuses on capital markets transactions and financial restructurings, with emphasis on distressed and special situations.
Sam advises financial institutions and issuers in connection with SEC-registered and private international and domestic debt and equity offerings and liability management transactions, including initial public offerings, Rule 144A/Regulation S offerings, 4(a)(2) private placements, cross-border and high-yield offerings, and tender, consent solicitation and exchange offers, as well as general corporate and regulatory matters under the Securities Act of 1933, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, and stock exchange regulations. He also advises creditors and issuers in connection with financial restructuring matters, including out-of-court and in-court (Chapter 11) restructurings, debt equitizations, amend and extend transactions, and rights offerings. Sam’s industry experience includes energy, drilling, telecommunications, gaming and retail, among others.
- Represented an ad hoc group of bondholders of Exela Technologies, Inc. with respect to, among other things, an out of court exchange involving approximately $1.0 billion of first lien bond debt.
- Represented Cencosud in the international IPO of its subsidiary Cencosud Shopping, the largest IPO in the history of Chile and LatinFinance’s “Deal of the Year 2019.”*
- Represented MGM Resorts International in the initial public offering of its subsidiary MGM Growth Properties LLC (the largest IPO of 2016 at the time) and concurrent high-yield debt offering.*
- Represented investment banks and issuers in numerous high-yield debt offerings, including issuances for Sterigenics, Unifrax, Vistajet, and Tenet Healthcare.*
- Represented investment banks and issuers in high grade corporate and sovereign transactions, including issuances for the Government of Bermuda, ITC Holdings, Arrow Electronics, NTT, and Kimberly-Clark de Mexico.*
- Represented issuers, investment banks, and selling shareholders in equity, ADR and tender and rights offerings, including U.S. Steel, BRE Properties, Cencosud, Compañía Cervecerias Unidas and Inversiones y Rentas.*
- Represented debtors and creditors in Chapter 11 bankruptcy restructurings, including Eagle Bulk Shipping, Momentive Performance Materials, Vantage Drilling, Vanguard Natural Resources, Linn Energy, Genco Shipping, Internap Technology Solutions, American Commercial Lines, Hornbeck Offshore Services, and Freedom Group (Remington Outdoor).*
- Represented issuers and creditors in out-of-court restructurings involving debt extensions, equitizations and exchanges, including for Trailer Bridge, J. Crew, Natural Resource Partners, Inn of the Mountain Gods, and One Call Corporation.*
- Represented sponsors and other stakeholders in restructuring matters, including in connection with the restructurings of Neiman Marcus, Goodrich Petroleum, and the Puerto Rico Sales Tax Financing Corporation.*
- Represented SPAC sponsors in connection with SPAC and de-SPAC transactions, including the IPOs of Hudson Executive Investment Corp II and Hudson Executive Investment Corp III, the merger of Hudson Executive Investment Corp with Talkspace, and the de-SPAC transaction of Cerberus Technology Acquisition Corp with KORE Wireless.*
- Represented investment banks in connection with multiple EETC transactions, including for Jet Blue and Alaska Airlines.*
*Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Co-author, “Top 10 Practice Tips: Foreign Private Issuers,” Lexis Nexis
- Co-author, “Raising Equity in Troubled Time: A Survey of Financing Alternatives and Legal Issues,” BNA Alternative Investment Law Report
- JD, cum laude, University of Michigan Law School
- BS (Biological Sciences), magna cum laude, Wayne State University
- BS (Health Sciences & Pharmacy), cum laude, Wayne State University
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York
- New York Super Lawyers Rising Stars (2014-2017)