Brent Bates is counsel in Ropes & Gray’s asset management practice group and a member of the firm’s private funds regulatory practice. Brent represents investment management clients and focuses primarily on private funds, including private equity funds, hedge funds, real estate funds, funds-of-funds and credit funds, as well as investment advisers of private funds. Brent has extensive experience representing fund sponsors and investment advisers to funds and separately managed accounts. He also counsels institutional investors regarding their investments in funds and accounts.
Brent Bates re-joined Ropes & Gray in 2022 and formerly was an associate in the firm’s asset management practice group. In the interim, Brent served as in-house counsel to a global investment manager and practiced at two law firms where he focused on investment manager and fund matters.
- Advising various private funds on fundraises and associated offering and regulatory issues, including counsel with respect to investor negotiations and terms. Such private funds have included initial fundraises for first-time managers as well as fundraises for strategies with multiple, prior successful closes.
- Day-to-day advice to investment advisers regarding regulatory and compliance obligations under the Advisers Act and other U.S. laws and regulations.
- Counseling investment advisers regarding proposed and adopted changes to the regulatory landscape applicable to the asset management industry.
- Assisting clients during SEC and other regulatory examinations.
- JD, with Honors, Emory University School of Law, 2010; Emory Law Journal Notes & Comments Editor
- BA (Journalism and History), University of North Carolina, 2005
Admissions / Qualifications
- Not admitted in the District of Columbia. Supervised by Ropes & Gray LLP attorneys who are members of the District of Columbia Bar.
- New York, 2011
- North Carolina, 2021