Charlotte Jane Brunsdon
Charlotte Brunsdon is temporarily on a full-time client secondment.
Charlotte Brunsdon joined the London antitrust department as an associate in May 2016. Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Charlotte was an associate in a Magic Circle law firm in their London office, and trained in their offices in London, Paris and Frankfurt.
Charlotte advises clients on EU and UK competition and regulatory law matters. Charlotte has a broad range of experience, including inquiries and investigations before the EU Commission and UK Competition and Markets Authority; advising on mergers and acquisitions; as well as advising on matters of EU public policy.
Charlotte has an undergraduate degree in Law with German Law from the University of Oxford, and a Masters' degree in law from University College, London.
- Advised Baring Private Equity Asia on the sale of the global surgical business of Lumenis LTD. to Boston Scientific
- Advised New Mountain Capital in its sale of Cytel Inc., one of the largest providers of statistical software and advanced analytics for clinical trial design and biometrics execution, to Nordic Capital and Astorg
- Advised Wright Medical Group N.V. on its agreement to be acquired by Stryker Corp. in a transaction with a total enterprise value of approximately $5.4 billion
- Advised Medical Properties Trust on its deal to acquire the real estate of 30 acute care hospital facilities in the United Kingdom for approximately $2 billion
- Represented Baring Private Equity Asia in its $381 million acquisition of NIIT Technologies Limited (public to private)
- Advised Medtronic on its $1.64 billion acquisition of Mazor Robotics Ltd
- Advised Medtronic on the CMA review of its preferred partnership with Animas Corporation
- Google, in relation to multi-jurisdictional competition law investigations
- Acted for Baring Private Equity Asia on its US$1.8 billion sale, alongside the Shanghai-based Bright Food Group, of British breakfast cereal brand Weetabix to U.S.-based cereal company, Post Holdings
- Acted for Pfizer on the sale of its Hospira Infusion Business to ICU Medical, valued at $1. billion
- Acted for Medtronic in relation to the European aspects of an acquisition in the medical technology sector valued at over $1 billion
- Acted on the European aspects of the sale of BlueCoat valued at over $4 billion, to Symantec
- Acted for Exponent Private Equity on the sale of Pattonair to Platinum Equity.
- Advised CCMP on the acquisition of commercial pool equipment manufacturer, Hayward Industries
Notable transactions in which Charlotte has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Acted for one of the largest high street banks on the UK Competition and Markets Authority's market investigation into the UK retail banking sector
- Acted for an international financial institution in relation to an investigation by the European Commission into allegations of collusion in relation to credit default swaps
- Acted for a financial institution on various European Commission information requests and surveys relating to retail banking, investment banking and credit cards
- Acted for a large corporate client in relation to an investigation by the French competition authority
- Acted for a corporate client on obtaining clearance from the UK Competition and Markets Authority in relation to a merger in the retail sector
- Acted for a UK corporate entity in the construction sector on various aspects of competition law compliance, including the development of a competition compliance programme
- Author, “Is There an Antitrust Enforcement Gap for 'Killer Acquisitions'? An EU Perspective on the Pharmaceutical Industry,” ABA Antitrust Health Care Chronicle (December 2020)
- Co-author, “United Kingdom,” GLI – Merger Control 2020 (May 2020)
- Moderator and Presenter, “International Antitrust Developments in Health Care and Pharmaceuticals: December 2018 through March 2019,” ABA Section of Antitrust Law (April 16, 2019)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LLM, Distinction, University College London, 2011
- LPC, Distinction, College of Law, Moorgate, 2010
- BA Juris (LLB equivalent) (Law, German Law), 2:1, University of Oxford, 2009; President of St Hilda's College Law Society; awarded St.Hilda's College Law Network prize
Admissions / Qualifications
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2014
- Ireland, Solicitor, 2017