Dervla Broderick is counsel in Ropes & Gray’s antitrust practice, based in Dublin. Dervla advises clients on all aspects of EU, Irish and UK competition law, including issues related to foreign direct investment.
Dervla brings both public and private sector perspective to her work. Before joining Ropes & Gray, she served as Deputy Director of Competition Enforcement and Mergers at the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC) in Ireland. While at the CCPC, Dervla oversaw the investigation and successful conclusion of a number of civil competition enforcement cases, some of which resulted in court ordered settlements. She also managed the Phase 2 review of several mergers examined by the CCPC. In addition, Dervla contributed to the development of Ireland’s Competition (Amendment) Act 2022.
Prior to assuming her role at the CCPC, Dervla practised as a competition and regulatory lawyer at an international law firm in London. She advised clients on a wide range of antitrust issues, including regulatory matters, litigation, investigations, merger control and cartels. During this time, she completed a secondment to the UK Office of Fair Trading (now the Competition and Markets Authority), working in the Cartels and Criminal Enforcement Group.
- Advised a major online travel agent on a multi-jurisdictional challenge to the anti-competitive practices of a competitor.*
- Advised a generic pharmaceutical company on aspects of the European Commission’s investigations into patent settlement arrangements.*
- Advised a third-party complainant in relation to the UK CMA’s Phase II review of the merger of two major UK gambling operators.*
- Advised a UK broadcaster on a number of strategic joint venture opportunities.*
- Advised Cineworld Group Plc on all aspects of the Phase I and Phase II reviews of its acquisition of the Picturehouse group of cinemas and dealing with subsequent cinema divestments.*
- Advised an Asia-based airline on leniency applications in a number of jurisdictions in relation to activities in the passenger airline sector.*
- Advised an Asia-based airline in relation to cartel investigations by a number of competition regulators, including the European Commission, in the air cargo sector.*
*Handled prior to joining Ropes & Gray
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
Ropes & Gray (Ireland) LLP is authorized as a limited liability partnership by the Legal Services Regulatory Authority under the Legal Services Regulation Act 2015 (Registration number: 1262568).
- Postgraduate Diploma in EU Competition Law, Commendation, King's College London, 2008
- LPC, Commendation, Nottingham Law School, 2004
- GDL, Commendation, Nottingham Law School, 2003
- MA Hons (International Business and Languages), Heriot-Watt University, 2001
Admissions / Qualifications
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2007
- Ireland, Solicitor, 2019