James R. Brown
James R. Brown is a partner in the tax department, focusing on the tax aspects of complex investment fund transactions. He regularly advises sponsors of investment funds on tax structuring and operational issues relating to these funds, including the taxation of registered and unregistered investment funds (e.g., private equity funds, debt funds, hedge funds, commodities funds and regulated investment companies or mutual funds). He also advises on acquisitions, mergers, recapitalizations, joint ventures and other types of transactions involving funds, their portfolio investments and their sponsors.
Recent notable matters prior to joining the firm include:
- Special tax counsel to Ares Capital Corporation and Ares Management, L.P. in the acquisition of American Capital Ltd.
- Special tax counsel to Eaton Vance in the launch of the NextShares
- Tax counsel to Ivory Investment Management, L.P. in its partnership with Affiliated Managers Group, Inc.
- Quoted, “New Regs Pave Way for Private Equity in Opportunity Zones,” FundFire (May 1, 2019)
- Quoted, “The ETF Tax Dodge Is Wall Street’s ‘Dirty Little Secret’,” Bloomberg (March 29, 2019)
- Quoted, “IRS intensifies enforcement efforts against cryptocurrencies,” International Financial Law Review (August 28, 2018)
- Quoted, “Ropes & Gray Survey and Forum Consider Credit Fund Structures, Leverage, Conflicts of Interest and Challenging Environment (Part One of Two),” The Hedge Fund Law Report (July 19, 2018)
- Co-author, “Virtual Currencies and the Commodity Trading Safe Harbor,” Tax Notes (June 18, 2018)
- Quoted, “IRS Cops Are Scouring Crypto Accounts to Build Tax Evasion Cases,” Bloomberg (February 8, 2018)
- Quoted, “BlackRock, Franklin Set for Major Boost Under Trump Tax Plan,” FundFire (October 6, 2017)
- Quoted, “James Brown Rejoins Ropes & Gray in New York,” The Hedge Fund Law Report (January 26, 2017)
- Panelist, ‘“Currency’ in the Digital Age: Cryptocurrency, ICOs and the Future of Commerce,” Section of Taxation ABA Midyear Meeting (February 8-10, 2018)
- JD, Harvard Law School, 1991
- BA, University of Texas at Austin, 1988