Luke Brown is an associate in the business restructuring practice group. Luke’s practice focuses on all aspects of debtor-side bankruptcy and restructuring. His most notable experience includes his work on the restructuring matters for Anna Holdings, Inc., Valaris plc, J.C. Penney Company, Inc., Seadrill Limited, and McDermott International, Inc.
Luke has also been actively involved in pro bono work throughout his career, including working with the Army Discharge Review Board and providing legal assistance to veterans.
- Represents Revlon, Inc.’s BrandCo Debtors, thirteen entities holding IP related to many of Revlon’s famous brands such as Elizabeth Arden, American Crew, Almay, Curve, and White Shoulders, in their chapter 11 cases in connection with the delegated authority of Mr. Steven Panagos as Restructuring Officer of the BrandCo Debtors.
- Represented an ad hoc group of first and second lien lenders of CHC Group LLC, the global rotary wing aviation services provider, with respect to, among other things, approximately $100 million of new money financing and an out of court exchange involving up to approximately $500 million of existing first and second lien debt.
- Represented PetroChoice, the nation’s leading distributor and manufacturer of value-added lubricant solutions, in connection with its successful sale to a strategic acquirer for approximately $500 million.
- Represented Vewd Software AS and certain affiliates in connection with their prepackaged Chapter 11 cases in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of New York. Vewd is a market leader in enabling the transition from cable, broadcast, and satellite television platforms to over-the-top video streaming services. Vewd’s Chapter 11 plan of reorganization was supported by 100% of its secured lenders and resulted in the exchange of over $100 million of secured debt claims for 100% of the equity of reorganized Vewd Software AS and the payment in full of all unsecured creditors. Under the plan of reorganization certain of Vewd’s existing secured lenders also agreed to provide $25 million of exit financing and up to $20 million pursuant to a preferred stock issuance to provide substantial liquidity support for the reorganized company.
- Represented Anna Holdings, Inc., a multinational full-service sales, marketing, and retail merchandising agency with 30,000 employees, serving 1,200 blue chip companies across the globe, in its prepackaged restructuring of $3 billion of indebtedness. Anna Holdings, Inc.’s Chapter 11 plan was confirmed by the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware just 15 days after the bankruptcy filing.*
- Represented J. C. Penney Company, Inc. and 17 of its affiliates in their chapter 11 cases. J. C. Penney, a prominent American retail company, includes private brands such as Stafford, Liz Claiborne, and Arizona Jean co. J. C. Penney entered bankruptcy with roughly $4.9 billion in debt.*
- Advised McDermott International, Inc. in their prepackaged chapter 11 cases in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court of the Southern District of Texas. McDermott is a premier, global upstream and downstream engineering, procurement, construction, and installation company.*
- Counseled Seadrill Limited and certain of its direct and indirect subsidiaries in their restructuring of approximately $6.1 billion of funded debt. Seadrill is a leading global provider of offshore contract drilling services. The chapter 11 cases are expected to facilitate a balance sheet restructuring to enable Seadrill to continue to operate under its current capacity.*
- Represented Valaris plc and 89 of its subsidiaries in their chapter 11 cases. Valeris is the world’s largest offshore driller by fleet size, owning 67 drilling rigs and operating in every offshore hydrocarbon basin throughout the globe. Valaris filed Chapter 11 with a restructuring agreement and agreement to fully equitize all $7.1 billion of its prepetition funded debt.*
*Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Lucas W. Brown, “Intellectual Property Rights Require a Balancing Act: The Exhaustion Doctrine and Patentee Rights vs. Consumer Protection,” Wake Forest Journal of Business and Intellectual and Property Law (2019 Winter Edition)
- JD, Wake Forest University School of Law, 2019
- MBA, Monmouth University, 2016
- BA, magna cum laude, Monmouth University, 2015; Division 1 Football; Chi Alpha Sigma National Collegiate Honor Society
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2021