Marc J. Bloostein
Marc Bloostein has been practicing in the private client group since 1989, and has been a partner of the firm since 1997. He focuses on sophisticated estate planning, and his practice includes all aspects of trust and estate administration, advising fiduciaries and beneficiaries and serving as trustee for numerous family trusts.
In addition to working closely with high net worth individuals, families, entrepreneurs and executives of private and public companies, Marc is a trusted advisor to private equity and hedge fund principals and to their firms. He works with these clients to structure funds to create estate planning opportunities and provides them with strategic advice to address effective wealth transfer, investment and tax alternatives. Marc is recognized for his breadth of experience as an estate planner, as well as for his strong background in estate and gift taxation, charitable trust law and fiduciary law. He regularly provides advice on complicated trust matters, some of which involve high-stakes litigation.
Marc shares his legal knowledge in a number of ways—
- He chaired a committee of trusts and estates practitioners that recently recommended the Uniform Trust Decanting Act for enactment in Massachusetts.
- He teaches a course on estate planning at Harvard Law School, and he frequently lectures to other lawyers on topics relating to estate planning, trust law and estate and trust administration in venues including Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, the Suffolk Law School Center for Advanced Legal Studies, the Boston Bar Association, the Boston Estate Planning Council and the Boston Probate and Estate Planning Forum.
- He has served on the Probate Court’s Massachusetts Uniform Probate Code implementation committee as well as the Supreme Judicial Court’s ad hoc committee on Bosch reformation cases.
- He served as co-chair of the Boston Bar Association’s Trusts and Estates Section from 2011-2013.
- He played a key role in the 2012 enactment of the Massachusetts Uniform Trust Code, having served on the ad hoc committee that reviewed and revised it and having co-authored the committee’s report.
- Quoted, “Wide support seen for uniform decanting bill,” Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly (March 28, 2019)
- Quoted, “Your Money: New U.S. Gift Tax Strategies Could Alter Giving,” Reuters (March 14, 2018)
- Author, “Ferri v. Powell-Ferri: Expansion of Common Law “Trust Decanting” in Massachusetts,” Boston Bar Journal (August 9, 2017)
- Co-author, “Trump and United States federal estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer taxes,” Thomson Reuters Practical Law Private Client Global Guide (February 1, 2017)
- Quoted, “Trump’s Changes to the Tax Codes May Encourage Dynastic Wealth,” The New York Times (November 12, 2016)
- Quoted, “Estate Planning Tips for Hedge Fund Managers,” The Hedge Fund Law Report (June 2, 2014)
- Co-presenter, Mechanics of Decanting and Non-Judicial Settlements, Massachusetts Bar Association’s Sixth Annual Probate Law Conference (November 2019)
- Co-presenter, Marital Estate Planning After Tax Reform, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (July 2019)
- Chair, 20th Annual MCLE New England Estate Planning Conference (May 2019)
- Co-presenter, Mechanics of Decanting and Non-Judicial Settlements, Massachusetts Bar Association’s Sixth Annual Probate Law Conference (November 2018)
- Co-presenter, Marital Estate Planning After Tax Reform, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (July 2018)
- Co-presenter, Proposed Adoption of Uniform Trust Decanting Act, Boston Probate Estate Planning Forum (May 2018)
- Chair, 19th Annual MCLE New England Estate Planning Conference (March 2018)
- Co-presenter, Marital Estate Planning in the Trump Era, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Inc. (June 13, 2017)
- Presenter, "1st Look" at What the Ferri Decision Means for Drafting Trusts, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education (May 24, 2017)
- Chair, 18th Annual MCLE New England Estate Planning Conference (January 2017)
- Presenter, AGN International 2016 Tax and SaLT Conference, Current Topics in Estate Planning and Administration (October 2016)
- Chair, 17th Annual MCLE New England Estate Planning Conference (January 2016)
- JD, cum laude , Cornell Law School, 1988; Managing Editor, Cornell Law Review
- BA, magna cum laude , Brandeis University, 1985
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2004
- Massachusetts, 1988
- Chambers High Net Worth (2020-2021)
- Chambers USA (2010-2020)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2010-2022)
- Best Lawyers “Lawyer of the Year” – Trusts & Estates (2015, 2017, 2019, 2021)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2007-2016)