Mary E. Brust
Mary Brust is an associate in the litigation department. Mary focuses her practice on civil and criminal government enforcement matters, internal investigations, and related litigation.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Mary served as a law clerk to the Honorable P. Kevin Castel of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. During law school, Mary served as an executive article editor of the New York University Annual Survey of American Law. She also interned at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, where she assisted prosecutors in the Criminal Division with public corruption and narcotics matters.
Mary maintains an active pro bono practice, including assisting Criminal Justice Act appointed counsel in the representation of criminal defendants in federal court.
- Represents professional services firms in state and federal criminal investigations into allegations of public corruption.
- Represents healthcare service providers in investigations by the DOJ into allegations of improper Medicare billing practices.
- Represents major U.S. company in connection with DOJ criminal antitrust investigation.
- Represents large financial institutions and individuals in criminal and civil investigations and proceedings brought by the SEC and DOJ.
- Represented executive of national company in investigation by the DOJ into allegations of Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations and money laundering.
- Member of litigation team defending mutual fund investment advisers against claims of excessive fees under Section 36(b) of the Investment Company Act of 1940.