Mary E. Brust
Mary Brust is an associate in the litigation department. Mary focuses her practice on civil and criminal government enforcement matters, internal investigations, and related litigation.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Mary served as a law clerk to the Honorable P. Kevin Castel of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York. During law school, Mary served as an executive article editor of the New York University Annual Survey of American Law. She also interned at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York, where she assisted prosecutors in the Criminal Division with public corruption and narcotics matters.
Mary maintains an active pro bono practice, including assisting Criminal Justice Act appointed counsel in the representation of criminal defendants in federal court.
- Independent investigation into the abuse of athletes at national sports organizations.
- Represents large financial institutions and individuals in investigations and enforcement actions brought by the SEC and DOJ, including:
- Represents parent in “Varsity Blues” college admissions prosecution;
- Represented large financial institution and financial advisors in connection with securities fraud prosecution brought by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Southern District of New York;
- Represented financial advisor in connection with Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation of Paul Manafort; and
- Represented a chief executive officer in litigation against the SEC and DOJ criminal investigation regarding allegations of insider trading.
- Represents health care companies in investigations by DOJ into allegations of potential False Claims Act violations.
- Represents non-profit institution in resolving claims related to allegations of historical sexual misconduct by a former employee.
- Represented professional services firms in state and federal criminal investigations into allegations of public corruption.
- Represented global medical device company in connection with DOJ criminal antitrust investigation.
- Member of litigation team defending mutual fund investment advisers against claims of excessive fees under Section 36(b) of the Investment Company Act of 1940.
- JD, New York University School of Law, 2014; executive article editor, New York University Annual Survey of American Law
- BA (American Studies), Distinction in all Subjects, Cornell University, 2011
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2015
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America – Ones to Watch (2022)