Matthew J. Byron
Matt Byron focuses his M&A practice on representing public and private companies as well as private equity sponsors in a broad range of industries, including life sciences, technology, consumer brands, infrastructure and financial services. Matt has led recent transactions for Johnson & Johnson, Toast, Ginkgo Bioworks, EMCOR, Planet Fitness, and TSG Consumer Partners.
Notable experience in strategic M&A:
- Represented Ginkgo Bioworks in connection with numerous life sciences investments and acquisitions, including FGen, Altar, Circularis, Metabiota, Bitome, Zymergen and a carve-out transaction from Bayer AG.
- Represented EMCOR Group in connection with various infrastructure and contracting acquisitions, divestitures and joint ventures, including B&K Industries, Quebe, Repcon Strickland and numerous others.
- Represented Toast Inc. in connection with the acquisition of Delphi Technologies, a restaurant hardware and software business.
- Represented Johnson & Johnson in connection with numerous acquisitions and divestitures of pharmaceutical, medical device and diagnostics businesses.
- Represented a leading technology and electronics manufacturing company in connection with certain technology-related M&A transactions.
- Represented Samsonite in connection with acquisitions and divestitures of consumer branded businesses.
- Represented Planet Fitness in connection with its sale to TSG Consumer Partners and its eventual IPO.
- Represented Performance Health, a portfolio company of Gridiron Capital, in connection with its sale to Patterson Medical.
Notable experience in private equity transactions:
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in connection with numerous consumer brand investments, acquisitions and divestitures, including Prive Reveaux, REVOLVE, Paige Denim, thinkThin, Raybern Foods and Kenra Hair.
- Represented TPG Capital in connection with large cap investments and restructuring transactions.
- Represented KarpReilly, Gridiron Capital, HIG Capital and other mid-market private equity firms and their portfolio companies in connection with transactions across all industries.
- JD, cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2009
- BS, with distinction, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2006
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2009