Michael D. Beauvais
Michael Beauvais, the immediate past global co-chair of the life sciences and health care industry group, has more than 21 years of experience representing clients in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device, digital health and health care services industries. His transactional experience spans a broad range of mergers and acquisitions, public and private securities offerings, financings, collaborations, and other commercial transactions.
Michael also regularly counsels private equity firms, financial sponsors and other strategic investors in the life sciences and health care industries on matters pertaining to their investments.
- Representation of Bain Capital in the sale of its portfolio company Cerevel Therapeutics, a neuroscience-focused biopharma company, to Arya Sciences Acquisition (a special-purpose acquisition company).
- Representation of Blackstone Life Sciences in its $2 billion strategic collaboration to support Alnylam’s advancement of innovative RNA interference (RNAi).
- Representation of AbbVie, Inc. in its strategic collaboration with TeneoBio, Inc. for the development and commercialization of a BCMA-targeting immunotherapeutic for the treatment of multiple myeloma.
- Representation of Ginkgo Bioworks in its acquisition of Warp Drive Bio’s genome mining platform.
- Representation of Vapotherm, Inc., a medical technology company focused on the development and commercialization of technologies to treat respiratory distress, in its initial public offering.
- Representation of American Well in its acquisition of Aligned Telehealth, a leader in the provision of behavioral telehealth and telepsychiatry services to hospitals and health plans.
- Representation of a leading global medical device company in its acquisition of TSO3, an innovator in sterilization technology for medical devices in health care settings.
- Representation of Sumitomo Dainippon Pharma in its merger with Tolero Pharmaceuticals and Boston Biomedical.
- Representation of a global leading alternative investment firm in a series of transactions, including:
- its $800 million acquisition of a controlling stake in a South Korean pharmaceutical company.
- its $55 million Series D financing and investment round for a German biopharmaceutical company.
- its $70 million convertible preferred PIPE investment in a leading developer of investigational ribonucleic acid interference (RNAi) therapeutics.
- Representation of Blackstone in its acquisition of Clarus, a leading global life sciences investment firm that has raised $2.6 billion since its founding.
- Representation of Genstar Capital in its acquisition of Bracket, a leading clinical trial technology and pharmaceutical services provider.
- Representation of Oxford Immunotec Global PLC (UK) in its initial public offering on a U.S. exchange.
- Lead counsel to the underwriters in connection with initial public offerings by Connecture, Medidata, athenahealth, MedAssets and Synta Pharmaceuticals.
- Representation of a private equity firm in its $450 million acquisition of a clinical services and clinical technology solutions provider for various clinical trials.
- Representation of a global medical device company in connection with over fifteen acquisitions, both domestically and internationally.
- Representation of a public health care services company in connection with the acquisition and divesture of independent living and skilled nursing facilities in over forty states.
- Representation of the largest private dental practice management company in the United States in multiple transactions, including the sale of a majority interest.
- Quoted, “Trend Report: US healthcare IT activity boosted by COVID-19; could have lasting impact,” Mergermarket (September 17, 2020)
- Quoted, “Lawyers Head To JPMorgan Conference Eager To Spark Deals,” Law360 (January 5, 2018)
- Quoted, “Attorneys Head To JPMorgan Conference In Shaky Deals Climate,” Law360 (January 4, 2019)
- Quoted, “Deal Makers Buoyed After JPMorgan Forum Despite Clouds,” Law360 (January 13, 2017)
- Quoted, “Health & Well Being Report,” CBS Radio Network (March 8-10, 2016)
- Co-author, “Clearing Up Developer Health App Questions,” Law360 (February 26, 2016) (Subscription required)
- Co-author, “Modifying CMS Medicare And Medicaid Incentive Programs,” Law360 (July 2, 2014)
- Speaker, “Navigating Digital Health Investments and the Dealmaking Landscape,” Ropes & Gray and Life Sciences Executives network webinar (September 2, 2020)
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 1999; Student Editor-in-Chief of The Tax Lawyer , the American Bar Association's official journal on taxation
- BA, cum laude, College of the Holy Cross, 1996