Nicholas S. Bradley
Nick Bradley focuses his practice on white collar criminal defense, federal and state government investigations, and complex civil litigation. In recent years, Nick has represented companies and individuals in the health care and life science industries in matters involving the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute, the Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act, and state consumer protection statutes. Nick counsels clients in all aspects of government investigations, from subpoena compliance to witness interviews, and has assisted clients in reaching favorable resolutions with federal and state enforcement authorities. Nick also has extensive experience defending clients in civil litigation arising from these investigations in both federal and state court, including managing all phases of discovery and briefing on dispositive motions.
Nick maintains an active pro bono practice representing clients in asylum matters and debt collection actions. Most recently, Nick represented clients in state court litigation challenging the constitutionality of a voter registration deadline.
Nick returns to Ropes & Gray after serving as a Special Assistant District Attorney for Middlesex County in 2017. As a local prosecutor, Nick was lead counsel in multiple jury trials and argued dozens of evidentiary motions to suppress, motions in limine, and motions to dismiss. Nick managed a complex criminal caseload of misdemeanor and felony offenses and appeared in court daily on behalf of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.
- Represented major research hospital in federal investigation related to allegations of fraud in connection with government contracts.
- Obtained favorable federal resolution for a major medical device manufacturer in a False Claims Act investigation related to Medicare inpatient/outpatient billing practices.
- Prevailed at summary judgment for a global pharmaceutical manufacturer in a False Claims Act matter regarding allegations of off-label promotion and kickbacks that was affirmed on appeal by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit.
- Represented a major medical device manufacturer in False Claims Act litigation regarding allegations of kickbacks and violations of the Stark Law.
- Obtained successful resolutions for a pharmaceutical company under investigation by state attorneys general related to certain direct-to-consumer television advertisements.
- Obtained dismissal for major pharmaceutical client in connection with False Claims Act litigation concerning allegations of misleading promotional practices for blockbuster anti-depressant.
- Represented a Fortune 500 biotechnology company in a False Claims Act investigation related to alleged off-label promotional practices and helped secure federal global settlement agreement. As part of this representation, successfully negotiated statutory attorney fee negotiations with multiple relators’ counsel. Additionally, obtained favorable resolution in multi-year follow-on consumer protection investigation by 48 state attorneys general and the District of Columbia.
- Represented a medical device manufacturer in a federal investigation related to compliance with Quality System Regulations and Current Good Manufacturing Practices.
- Represented a U.S.-based multinational medical device company in a global Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation concerning alleged importation of unregistered products.
- Represented individual in connection with criminal investigation of Medicaid billing practices by transportation companies.
- Represented financial services client in connection with internal investigation regarding allegations of insider trading.