Raj helps life sciences companies and research institutions structure and negotiate licenses and collaborations. In addition, Raj advises venture-backed biotechnology companies from formation through initial public offering on equity financings, corporate governance issues, licenses, collaborations, and commercial agreements.
Life Sciences Transactions
- Represented Sarepta Therapeutics in a $1.15 billion collaboration and license agreement, which granted Roche exclusive rights to commercialize Sarepta’s investigational single treatment gene therapy for Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) outside the United States as well as options to bring forward certain other Sarepta products for the treatment of DMD.
- Represents the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard in connection with licenses and collaborations, including commercial and research tool licenses for CRISPR/Cas9.
- Represents a major biopharmaceutical company in connection with licenses and collaborations in the immuno-oncology field.
- Represented Sarepta Therapeutics in a strategic investment and licensing transaction with Lacerta Therapeutics, a gene therapy company, in which Sarepta entered into a license and option agreement for up to three new CNS-targeted gene therapy programs, including exclusive rights to Lacerta’s gene therapy candidate for Pompe Disease and options to two additional candidates, and made an equity investment of $30 million in Lacerta.
- Represented Sarepta Therapeutics in connection with an exclusive license and collaboration agreement with Summit Therapeutics that extends Sarepta’s Duchenne muscular dystrophy drug pipeline.
- Represents a leading diagnostics company in connection with companion diagnostics development and license agreements.
- Advised AMAG Pharmaceuticals in an agreement with Palatin Technologies to gain exclusive North American rights to develop and commercialize Rekynda™ (bremelanotide), valued at up to $465 million in upfront, milestone and ongoing development payments, plus tiered royalties on net sales.
- Represented Janssen Pharmaceuticals in its $1.05 billion all-cash divestiture of U.S. license rights to the NUCYNTA® franchise of pharmaceutical products to Depomed, Inc.
Emerging Company Representation; Venture Investments
- Represents Asimov, Compass Therapeutics, LogicBio Therapeutics, Nocion Therapeutics, SmartLabs and Vapotherm, among others, in connection with venture financings and ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Represents a leading global private equity firm in connection with venture investments.
- Co-author, “Global Health Innovations Can Be Game-Changers at Home, Too,” STAT News (March 14, 2017)
- Co-author, “3D printing hits its 'Napster moment,' prepares to disrupt patent rights,” Upstart Business Journal (November 9, 2015)
- The Success of, and Response to, India’s Law against Patent Layering, 54 Harv. Int’l L.J. Online 204 (2013)
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2014; Board of Student Advisers
- AB (Neurobiology), cum laude, Harvard College, 2011