Raj advises companies and investors in the biotechnology, pharmaceutical, medical device and technology industries in transactions involving corporate and intellectual property matters, including license and collaboration agreements, mergers and acquisitions, research-related agreements and securities offerings.
Raj joined Ropes & Gray in 2014. As a law student, he won the FDI International Arbitration Moot in Frankfurt, Germany, as well as the Boston Patent Law Association’s writing competition, both in 2013. He was a member of Harvard Law School’s Board of Student Advisers and Co-President of the Harvard Law & International Development Society.
Life Sciences Transactions
- Represents the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard in connection with multiple license and collaboration agreements involving platform genomic technologies, including commercial and research tool licenses for CRISPR/Cas9.
- Advised AMAG Pharmaceuticals in an agreement with Palatin Technologies to gain exclusive North American rights to develop and commercialize Rekynda™ (bremelanotide), valued at up to $465 million in upfront, milestone and ongoing development payments, plus tiered royalties on net sales.
- Represented Sarepta Therapeutics in connection with an exclusive license and collaboration agreement with Summit Therapeutics that extends Sarepta’s Duchenne muscular dystrophy drug pipeline.
- Represents a digital health company in connection with regulatory matters pertaining to license agreements.
- Represented Sarepta Therapeutics in connection with the negotiation of a number of sponsored research and license agreements with U.S. and international academic institutions.
- Represents numerous pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies in connection with co-promotion, license and collaboration, and sponsored research agreements, as well as other commercial agreements.
- Represented Janssen Pharmaceuticals in its $1.05 billion all-cash divestiture of U.S. license rights to the NUCYNTA® franchise of pharmaceutical products to Depomed, Inc.
- Represented the lead underwriters in follow-on stock and convertible bond offerings for certain biotechnology companies.
Emerging Company Transactions
- Represents a venture capital firm in technology and healthcare investments.
- Represents a virtual biotechnology company in connection with its commercial agreements.
- Co-author, “Global Health Innovations Can Be Game-Changers at Home, Too,” STAT News (March 14, 2017)
- Co-author, “3D printing hits its 'Napster moment,' prepares to disrupt patent rights,” Upstart Business Journal (November 9, 2015)
- The Success of, and Response to, India’s Law against Patent Layering, 54 Harv. Int’l L.J. Online 204 (2013)