Raj helps life sciences companies and research institutions structure and negotiate licenses and collaborations. In addition, Raj advises venture-backed biotechnology companies from formation through initial public offering on equity financings, corporate governance issues, licenses, collaborations, and commercial agreements.
Life Sciences Transactions
- Represented Blackstone Life Sciences in its combination with gene editing drugmaker Intellia Therapeutics, Inc. and German cell manufacturer Cellex Cell Professionals GmbH to create a new CAR-T platform company to develop cell therapies for cancer and autoimmune diseases.
- Represented SmartLabs in its $250 million Series B financing.
- Represented Sarepta Therapeutics in a license agreement with Hansa Biopharma, with payments totaling up to $407.5 million, pursuant to which Sarepta will receive an exclusive worldwide license to develop and commercialize imlifidase as a pre-treatment for Sarepta’s gene therapy in patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) or Limb-girdle muscular dystrophy (LGMD).
- Represented Sarepta Therapeutics in a $1.15 billion collaboration and license agreement, which granted Roche exclusive rights to commercialize Sarepta’s investigational single treatment gene therapy for Duchenne muscular dystrophy (DMD) outside the United States as well as options to bring forward certain other Sarepta products for the treatment of DMD.
- Represents the Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard in connection with licenses and collaborations, including commercial and research tool licenses for CRISPR/Cas9.
- Represents a major biopharmaceutical company in connection with licenses and collaborations in the immuno-oncology field.
Emerging Company Representation; Venture Investments
- Represents various venture-backed life sciences and biopharma companies in connection with venture financings and ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Represents a leading global private equity firm in connection with venture investments.
- Co-author, “Global Health Innovations Can Be Game-Changers at Home, Too,” STAT News (March 14, 2017)
- Co-author, “3D printing hits its 'Napster moment,' prepares to disrupt patent rights,” Upstart Business Journal (November 9, 2015)
- The Success of, and Response to, India’s Law against Patent Layering, 54 Harv. Int’l L.J. Online 204 (2013)
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2014; Board of Student Advisers
- AB (Neurobiology), cum laude, Harvard College, 2011
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2014