Shelbi Brown joined the general litigation department as an associate in 2015. Before joining Ropes & Gray, Shelbi worked with adolescents for two years as a member of her law school’s Adolescent Representation Clinic. Shelbi worked on matters involving guardianships of incapacitated persons, landlord tenant relationships, and adolescent education.
During law school, Shelbi served as the executive notes editor for the Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems. She also taught both criminal law and mock trial to high school students in the New York metropolitan area and sat as Treasurer of the Harlem Tutorial Project, providing after school tutoring to middle school children in Harlem.
- Representation of a pharmaceutical company in a multi-year joint DOJ and SEC investigation into allegations of off-label promotion, securities fraud, and other related issues.
- Defense of medical provider in qui tam actions under the federal False Claims Act involving alleged kickbacks and inappropriate billing, including successful motion to dismiss and favorable settlement of remaining claims.
- Defense of fund adviser against claims of excessive fees, challenging the alleged differential between advisory and sub-advisory fees in the Western District of Washington.
- Representation of private equity and hedge fund advisor in SEC exam regarding fees, expenses, and potential conflicts of interest.
- Author, “Striking a Balance Between Victim and Commanding Officer: Why Current Military Sexual Assault Reform Goes Too Far,” Columbia Journal of Law and Social Problems