Stefanie Birkmann is co-head of the firm’s global finance practice group. She represents private equity firms, corporate borrowers and other borrowers in complex financings. Stefanie is highly experienced in a wide variety of syndicated financings—with an emphasis on leveraged acquisition finance and recapitalizations—and advises her clients on senior and subordinated credit facilities, cash-flow and asset-based loans, first and second lien financings, mezzanine financings, bridge loans, high-yield debt offerings and debt restructurings, including DIP and exit financings.
- Represented New Mountain Capital in obtaining $500 million in credit facilities for its acquisition of Radancy, a provider of enterprise software and services solutions for talent sourcing.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in obtaining $567 million in syndicated credit facilities for the acquisition of Pixelle Specialty Solutions, a provider of fiber-based specialty solutions.
- Represented Berkshire Partners and Warburg Pincus in connection with the incremental financing raised for the acquisition of Ensemble Health, a provider of technology-enabled revenue cycle management solutions for health systems, including hospitals and affiliated physician groups.
- Represented MolyCop, a portfolio company of American Industrial Partners, in connection with a $1.275 billion refinancing of its existing secured notes and ABL financings.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in obtaining $650 million of term loans and a $125 million ABL facility to finance its acquisition of Attindas, a manufacturer of diapers and hygienic products.
- Represented New Mountain Capital in obtaining financing for its simultaneous acquisitions and combination of Pearce Renewables, a provider of telecommunications infrastructure maintenance, repair, and engineering, and MaxGen Energy Services, an independent provider of repair and maintenance services for utility-scale renewable wind and solar assets as well as electric vehicle charging station infrastructure.
- Represented New Mountain Capital in obtaining $750 million in syndicated credit facilities for its take-private acquisition of Aegion Corporation, a provider of infrastructure maintenance, rehabilitation and protection solutions.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in obtaining $580 million in term loan facilities and a $100 million ABL facility for its acquisition of SEACOR, a diversified shipping and logistics company.
- Represented Datavant, a portfolio company of New Mountain Capital, in connection with the $720 million refinancing of its existing credit facilities.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in obtaining $300 million in credit facilities for its acquisition of St. Croix Hospice, a provider of hospice care across the Midwest United States.
- Represented Revint Solutions, a portfolio company of New Mountain Capital providing technology-enabled revenue integrity solutions for healthcare providers, in obtaining $715 million in syndicated credit facilities for the acquisition of Triage Consulting Group and the refinancing of its existing credit facilities.
- Represented New Mountain Capital in obtaining $225 million in first lien secured credit facilities for its acquisition of the chemical business of Aceto in a 363 bankruptcy sales process.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in obtaining financing for its acquisition of the Current lighting business unit from GE and the subsequent acquisition by Current of the commercial and industrial lighting business of Hubbell.
- Represented American Industrial Partners and its portfolio company Cabinetworks Group in the financings for the acquisitions of Elkay Wood Products Company and the cabinetry division of Masco.
- Represented American Industrial Partners and its portfolio company Shape Technologies Group in obtaining $315 million in term loan and cash flow revolving facilities and a $60 million ABL facility to refinance existing debt.
- Represented New Mountain Capital in obtaining $198 million in first lien secured credit facilities for its acquisition of MAG Aerospace, a provider of ISR services and other specialty aviation to federal, international, civilian and commercial customers.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in obtaining $315 million in first lien credit facilities and a $80 million second lien term loan facility for its acquisition of Wastequip.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in obtaining first lien and second lien financing for its acquisition of Digital Room, Inc. and a subsequent dividend recapitalization.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in obtaining $560 million in first lien facilities and $150 million in second lien term loans for its acquisition of Vantage Specialty Chemicals.
- Represented Surgery Partners Inc. in connection with $1.365 billion in secured credit facilities and the issuance of $335 million in senior unsecured notes for the acquisition of National Surgical Healthcare.
- Represented Samsonite in structuring and obtaining $1.25 billion of term loan A financing, $675 million of term loan B financing and $500 million in revolving commitments in connection with its acquisition of Tumi, Inc., and the subsequent extension of the credit facilities and the issuance of €350 million in Eurobonds.
- Co-author, “In Search of Financing: Sponsors Willing to Seek Debt,” Mondaq (November 23, 2022)
- Quoted, “Private Credit Weighs Risks and Opportunities in Market Turmoil,” WSJ Pro Private Equity (March 17, 2020)
- Quoted, “Jumbo loans test U.S. leveraged market as demand dries up,” Reuters (March 3, 2016)
- LLM, Columbia University School of Law, 2002; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- Second State Examination, Top 5%, University of Munich School of Law, 1997
- Doctor of Law, summa cum laude, University of Munich School of Law, 1996
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2003
- Frankfurt am Main (Germany), 1997
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (2022-2023)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2021-2022)
- IFLR 1000 (2019-2023)
- Legal 500 (2015-2020)