Will is a counsel in the private equity real estate team in London. He advises a broad range of investors on their UK and European private equity real estate deals, including acting for real estate, private equity and opportunity funds, pension funds, private wealth and family offices and operating partners. Will advises on a variety of direct and indirect real estate investment structures and transaction types, in particular on joint ventures, direct and indirect acquisitions and financings, disposals, real estate M&A, minority and majority equity investments and co-investments, sale and leasebacks and development-led investments.
Will has experience across all types of real estate investments of varied risk profiles, including distressed and non-distressed structures. His broad sector experience includes logistics and industrial, health care/life sciences, residential (PRS/BTR and build to sell), data centres, offices, hotels, retail and leisure and student accommodation assets.
Will is recognised in The Legal 500 as a ‘Rising Star.’
Clients have described Will and the team in The Legal 500 as “dynamic and commercial”, “more like part of the partnership than an external advisory law firm” and having “excellent attention to detail and commercial acumen.”
Recent experience includes advising:
- Integrated Media Company (IMC), a TPG platform dedicated to the new media ecosystem, on the acquisition of a majority stake in Goal from the DAZN Group
- Dutch pension fund APG on:
- its acquisition of a 75 per cent. interest in a joint venture with TH Real Estate, with a combined equity commitment of c.£800 million, to develop the St James Centre in Edinburgh, one of the UK’s largest private regeneration projects
- a €400 million joint venture with Hines Ireland to develop four greenfield sites at Cherrywood, Dublin for BTR and associated retail and leisure purposes and on a wider €700 million BTR joint venture in the Dublin area
- Proprium Capital on the £1.3 billion sale of a consortium interest in 20 Fenchurch Street, London (the ‘Walkie Talkie’ building) to a Hong Kong based conglomerate
- A US Opportunity Fund with over $27 billion of assets under management on its UK and European real estate acquisitions and investments including domestic and cross-border joint ventures
- Bain Capital Real Estate in evaluating, negotiating and structuring real estate investments directly as well as through joint ventures, funds, co-investments and management arrangements with international and domestic sponsors, operators and managers
- Avenue Capital on the acquisition, financing, restructuring and subsequent sale of Hawthorn Leisure, a portfolio investment company owing c.300 pubs in the UK, for £107 million
- A variety of Private Equity Funds including Bain Capital and TPG in connection with the real estate aspects of PE acquisitions and dispositions, including structuring and negotiation of occupancy leases, acquisition and disposition agreements and sale and leasebacks
- A PERE Fund on its tenant credit sale and leaseback of four prominent London based private hospitals to a healthcare investor for £227 million
- A PERE Fund on the structured acquisition, financing and subsequent sale of 123 Buckingham Palace Road, London for c.£243 million
- Barchester Healthcare on the sale and leaseback of a £1.46 billion portfolio of 160 care homes in the UK and the associated refinancing of the group's borrowings
- Epiris on the acquisition of The Club Company, the UK’s leading country club operator, from a company affiliated with Lone Star Funds
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LPC, Distinction, BPP Law School, 2009
- GDL, Distinction, BPP Law School, 2008
- BA (Hons) (Classical Literature, Philosophy and Ancient History), Trinity College, Oxford University, 2007