Zachary R. Blume
Zach Blume focuses his practice on representing public companies in mergers and acquisitions and capital markets transactions. In addition, Zach regularly advises public company clients on securities law compliance and governance issues. His clients include companies such as Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Waters Corporation, Nuance Communications, The Hanover Insurance Group, adidas AG and Agenus Inc.
Business Combination Transactions
- Represented Wright Medical N.V. in its $5.4 billion sale to Stryker.
- Represented a special committee of the board of Akcea Therapeutics in connection with the sale of Akcea to Ionis Pharmaceuticals.
- Represented Shire in its $32 billion combination with Baxalta for a combination of cash and stock and its acquisition of Dyax Corporation for $5.9 billion in cash plus contingent value rights.
- Represented NxStage Medical in its $2 billion sale to Fresenius Medical Care Holdings.
- Represented Town Fair Tire in its sale to Mavis Tire Express Services.
- Represented Vertex Pharmaceuticals in its acquisition of Exonics Therapeutics for $245 million plus contingent consideration.
- Represented Visterra, Inc. in its $430 million sale to Otsuka Pharmaceutical.
- Represented Alexion Pharmaceuticals Corp. in its acquisitions of Wilson Therapeutics for $855 million and Enobia Pharma Corp. for $610 million plus contingent consideration.
- Represented Champion Enterprises Holdings in its business combination transaction with Skyline Corporation.
- Represented Cubist Pharmaceuticals in its sale to Merck for $9.5 billion and in its simultaneously announced acquisitions of Optimer Pharmaceuticals, Inc. and Trius Therapeutics, Inc. for cash and contingent value rights valued at $801 million and $818 million, respectively.
- Represented Multi Packaging Solutions International Limited in its $2.3 billion sale to WestRock Company.
- Represented Genzyme Corporation in its sale to Sanofi for $20.1 billion in cash plus contingent value rights.
- Represented Entegris, Inc. in its $1.15 billion acquisition of ATMI, Inc.
- Represented Reebok International Ltd. in its sales of The Rockport Company and Mitchell & Ness.
- Represented Timberland Company in its $2.23 billion sale to V.F. Corporation.
- Represented URL Pharma Corp. in its sale for $800 million plus contingent consideration to Takeda.
- Represented Synageva BioPharma Corp. in its acquisition, through a reverse merger, of Trimeris, Inc.
Capital Markets Transactions
- Represented Blackstone Life Sciences in strategic financing collaboration with Alnylam.
- Represented The Hanover Insurance Group in multiple registered offerings of senior notes.
- Represented Skyline Champion Corporation and the selling shareholders in follow-on offerings with total proceeds in excess of $800 million.
- Represented Synageva BioPharma Corp. in follow-on offerings with total proceeds of over $750 million.
- Represented Aegerion Pharmaceuticals in its issuance of $350 million of convertible notes.
- Represented Alexion Pharmaceuticals Corp. in its $465 million follow-on equity offering.
- Represented the underwriters in a $750 million convertible note offering by Incyte Corporation.
- Represented the underwriters in the IPOs of bluebird bio, Inc. and Foundation Medicine, Inc., as well as several follow-on equity offerings.
- Profiled, “Rising Star: Ropes & Gray's Zachary Blume,” Law360 (August 10, 2020)
- Co-author, “Delaware's amendments apply market-out exception to appraisal rights for Section 251(h) mergers,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (April 3, 2019)
- Quoted, “Trump 6-month reporting idea has D&O claims benefits, downsides,” Business Insurance (August 28, 2018)
- Co-author, “Court reverses finding of financial adviser aiding and abetting liability,” International Law Office (March 16, 2016)
- Co-author, “Delaware Chancery Court describes standards for attorneys' fees,” International Law Office (September 23, 2015)
- Speaker, “Beyond NDAs: Managing Confidential Information in M&A and Commercial Agreements,” 4th Annual IP Strategy Summit (May 15, 2018)
- JD, Washington University School of Law, 2007
- BA, Williams College, 2002
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2007