Shain Corey joined Ropes & Gray as an associate in the asset management practice group in 2013 and returned to the firm as counsel in 2022. Shain’s practice routinely involves advising asset managers on the structuring, formation, offering, and ongoing operation of private investment funds, including private equity funds, funds-of-funds, hedge funds and venture capital funds. Shain has also represented institutional investors in connection with making private fund-related investments and advised clients on various regulatory matters.
In between his time at Ropes & Gray, Shain spent several years in-house at a global asset manager where he had the dual role of supporting the firm’s private fund initiatives, including helping to establish the firm’s venture capital arm, as well as providing Investment Advisers Act and other U.S. regulatory guidance.
Shain also enjoys working on various pro bono matters with a focus on voter rights, civil rights and people experiencing houselessness.
- Representation of private equity fund, hedge fund, funds-of-fund and venture capital fund sponsors in connection with the structuring and formation of new investment funds
- Representation of fund-of-funds, endowments, foundations and trusts in making investments into various types of private funds
- JD, magna cum laude, Fordham University School of Law, 2013; Order of the Coif; Articles & Notes Editor, Fordham Law Review; Mary Daly Scholar
- MA (International Political Economy & Development), Fordham University, 2013
- BA (Economics), cum laude, Willamette University, 2008; Senior Certificate; Dean’s List; Order of Omega
Admissions / Qualifications
- California, 2015
- New York, 2014
- Washington, 2021