Counsel & Senior Policy Adviser
Jennifer S. Choi is counsel and senior policy adviser to the firm. She is based in the Washington, D.C. office and is engaged and advises on a wide variety of regulatory, governance, and market matters. Jennifer has almost 30 years of experience in the public policy arena for the financial services industry with expertise on regulatory and policy trends and strategic engagement with policymaking bodies. Jennifer also brings significant global perspective with extensive experience working on international issues in Europe and Asia.
Until February 2022, Jennifer was chief counsel of ICI Global, heading the global policy work for the Investment Company Institute (the leading trade association representing regulated investment funds). During her 16 years at ICI, she has held various roles, including associate general counsel for global capital markets policy and associate counsel for international policy. Earlier in her career, Jennifer worked at the Investment Adviser Association. From 1995 to 1999, she held various positions at the US Securities and Exchange Commission, including assistant director in the Division of Investment Management and special counsel in the Division of Market Regulation (now the Division of Trading and Markets). At the SEC, she also received the Martha Platt Award for dedication, excellence, and integrity.
In addition to her work at the firm, Jennifer is a Professorial Lecturer in Law at the George Washington University School of Law teaching Regulation of Mutual Funds and Their Investment Advisers. From 2006 to 2018, Jennifer also served as an adjunct professor of law at American University’s Washington College of Law.
- Profiled, “ICI Lawyer Joins Ropes & Gray,” Ignites (July 18, 2022
- Panelist, “Mutual Funds, Closed-End Funds, and ETFs,” PLI: Understanding Financial Products (January 19, 2022)
- Panelist, “How is the Asset Management Industry Investing in the Green Revolution and Managing the New Risks?,” Cumberland Lodge Financial Services Summit -- Global Financial Services in a Post-Covid World (November 4, 2021)
- Speaker, “Evolution of ESG Initiatives,” ETFGI Global ETFs Insights Summit (October 27, 2021)
- Moderator, “Global Regulatory Developments: Discussion with IOSCO Steering Committee 5,” International Investment Funds Conference (October 20, 2021)
- Panelist, “Democratization of Financial Markets and Its Impact on Money Managers,” FT Future of Asset Management North America 2021 (September 30, 2021)
- Panelist, “Current and Potential Impacts on the US of the International Regulatory Landscape,” US SIF Forum (June 15, 2021)
- Presenter, “ESG in the US – A Look at Sustainable Investing Across the Atlantic,” Swedish Investment Fund Association (June 3, 2021)
- Speaker, “COVID-Related Policy Initiatives,” ICI Webinar on Fund Industry in the Pandemic Era (July 9, 2020)
- Panelist, “ESG Investing: US Policy Update,” International Investment Funds Conference (October 15, 2019)
- Presenter, “ETFs: Growth, Regulatory Developments, and Persistent Misperceptions,” FundForum International (June 24, 2019)
- Panelist, “Fostering Capital Markets,” Politico Europe Finance Summit (February 21, 2019)
- Panelist, “The Big Question: Returns, Regulation and Risk - What does the future hold for ETFs?,” FT Investment Management Summit (September 25, 2018)
- Panelist, “US Experience with 401(k)s and Lessons for China,” Fund Forum International (June 13, 2018)
- Presenter, “ESG Investment: A New Era,” Centre for the Study of Financial Innovation Regulating Sustainable Finance Forum (June 7, 2018)
- JD, Highest Honors Order of the Coif, The George Washington University Law School, 1993
- Bachelor of Science in Economics, cum laude, The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, 1990; Dual Concentration: Finance and Strategic Management
Admissions / Qualifications
- District of Columbia, 1994