Shelby Cuomo is an associate in the litigation & enforcement practice group. Shelby focuses her practice on white-collar criminal defense and governmental investigations. Shelby has experience representing individuals and companies in matters involving the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, the False Claims Act, the Anti-Kickback Statute, public corruption, health care fraud, and federal antitrust violations. Shelby also has experience litigating complex civil disputes at both the trial and appellate level.
Shelby’s pro bono practice includes the representation of an individual in federal immigration court and assisting pro se litigants seeking to overturn criminal convictions.
- Represents medical device company in investigation by U.S. Department of Justice (“DOJ”) and U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”).
- Represents private equity firms and investment manager in connection with SEC examinations and enforcement matters.
- Represents home health care agency in investigation by DOJ.
- Conducts internal investigations on behalf of client involving allegations of bribery and violations of company policy.
- Represented a senior executive of a Japanese medical device manufacturer in a major investigation by DOJ and Food & Drug Administration.
- Represented investors in several residential mortgage-backed securities (“RMBS”) trusts in multiple cases in New York state court.
- Part of the team that conducted a high-profile independent investigation into the abuse of athletes.
- Represented pharmaceutical manufacturer in qui tam action under the federal False Claims Act and several state analogues involving alleged kickbacks and over-billing.
- Represented private equity firm in connection with insider trading inquiries by DOJ.
- Part of the trial team that represented a criminal defendant on federal public corruption and conspiracy charges in a three-week jury trial in the Southern District of New York.
- JD, with honors, The George Washington University Law School, 2016; notes editor, George Washington Law Review
- BA (Political Science and Classics), summa cum laude, Union College, 2013; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2017
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, 2019