Alex Chauvin is counsel in the asset management group in London.
Alex’s practice focuses on various areas of corporate law, including representing investment managers in all aspects of their business and operations and with a particular emphasis on the formation of U.S. and European private alternative investment funds and structuring and executing secondaries transactions.
With respect to secondaries transactions, Alex’s experience spans across advising on GP-led solutions, fund restructurings, portfolio sales and other liquidity solutions, in both the U.S. and Europe. Secondaries Investor named Alex to its 2020 list of the “Next Gen Leaders of Secondaries.”
Alex joined Ropes & Gray in 2022, and was previously in the investment funds practice with another major global law firm.
- Coller Capital as co-lead investor in the $1 billion strategic recapitalization of Leeds Equity Partners VII, L.P. involving the transfer of Exterro, Inc. to a newly-formed continuation vehicle
- A leading California-based investment firm in the formation of its approximately $7 billion flagship fund as well as its latest flagship fund, approximated at $12 billion*
- One of the world’s largest credit asset managers in the formation of its $4.5 billion energy focused credit fund*
- A leading California-based investment firm with respect to two single-asset GP-led deals which involved the transfer of the Ivanti and Wheels Pro portfolio companies to newly created continuation funds*
- A GP-led, single-asset deal, transferring Allied Universal, a Warburg Pincus Fund XI portfolio company, into a newly created $1.4 billion continuation fund*
- Warburg Pincus in the formation of a new private equity fund backed by leading secondary market participants and which raised approximately $1.2 billion of capital to acquire minority interests in 29 Asian portfolio investments held by Warburg Pincus’ $11 billion Fund XI*
- A Canadian pension fund in connection with its secondary market sale of a portfolio of private equity fund interests to a European private investment company for approximately US$1.1 billion*
- Committed Advisors as the lead investor in a fund recapitalization;* and in its purchases of fund interests from institutional sellers*
- A Canadian secondaries investor in connection with their preferred investment in a credit fund managed by AIC*
- Kinderhook Industries, LLC in its $460 million recapitalization of Kinderhook Capital Fund III, L.P.*
*Representations prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Featured, “City Moves: Who’s Switching Jobs in the Square Mile?” City AM (March 31, 2022)
- Profiled, “Ropes & Gray Taps Kirkland Partner,” Secondaries Investor (March 30, 2021)
- Profiled, “Ropes & Gray Adds to Asset Management Team,” RealDeals (March 28, 2022)
- Profiled, “Ropes & Gray Adds to European Private Funds Team,” Private Equity Wire (March 28, 2022)
- Profiled, “Ropes & Gray Adds Alexandra Chauvin to European Private Funds Team to Strengthen Secondaries Offering,” Alt Assets (March 28, 2022)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LLM, Cornell Law School, 2013
- MA (French and Anglo-American Corporate Law), with High Honors, “Mention Bien”, Université Paris X Nanterre, 2012
- BA (French and Anglo-American Law), With Honors, ”Mention Assez Bien”, Université Paris X Nanterre, 2011
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2014