Alvin Cheung is an associate in the business restructuring practice. Alvin has a wide range of experience in both consensual and contentious restructuring transactions and in dealing with distressed investments. He has acted for a variety of stakeholders including banks, hedge funds, private equity firms, creditor groups, trustees, insolvency appointment holders and distressed companies. Alvin’s focus is on providing strategic advice and creative solutions to his clients in different workout scenarios.
- Advised a committee of noteholders on the restructuring of notes issued by Global A&T Electronics Ltd.
- Advised the steering committee of noteholders on the restructuring of more than US$760 million of offshore liabilities of Mongolian Mining Corporation.
- Advising a committee of noteholders in the restructuring of notes issued by subsidiaries of Rolta India Limited.
- Advised a group of bondholders on the restructuring of foreign currency convertible bonds issued by Jaiprakash Power Ventures Limited.
- Advised subscriber of US$250 million secured second lien convertible bonds privately placed by Singapore listed company that owns aluminum production assets in China.
- Advised a leading private equity fund in its purchase of a stake in Metropolis Healthcare Limited, a Mumbai-based chain of pathology laboratories, from Dr. GSK Velu and affiliates.
Transactions completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Advising the Finance Parties on the enforcement of rights in relation to Rightway China Real Estate Limited's US$600m debt liabilities.
- Advising the newco of Sino-Forest Corporation post restructuring of its US$1.8bn of bonds.
- Advising a syndicate of lenders in relation to the restructuring of the debt obligations of Saigon Premier Container Terminal.
- Advising a group of major financial institution on their US$200m investment in Times Property Holdings Limited.
- PCLL, University of Hong Kong, 2010
- LLB, Hons, King's College London, 2008
Admissions / Qualifications
- Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2012
- High Court of Hong Kong, 2012