Cameron Casey provides comprehensive estate planning advice to high-net-worth individuals and families and plays an active role in the private client group’s trust and estate administration practice. Cameron also advises nonprofit organizations and their donors with respect to charitable planning matters.
- Collaborates with private clients on the development of tax-efficient estate plans that also achieve clients’ non-tax goals.
- Develops wealth transfer strategies for private clients, using leveraging techniques that include grantor retained annuity trusts, sales to intentionally-defective grantor trusts, qualified personal residence trusts, and charitable lead trusts.
- Counsels private clients regarding the creation and administration of tax-exempt charitable giving vehicles, including private foundations, supporting organizations and donor advised fund accounts.
- Advises colleges, universities, museums, and hospitals regarding the structure, implementation and administration of planned giving arrangements, including charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts, charitable gift annuities, pooled income funds, pledges, and gift agreements.
- Counsels trustees of split-interest and other charitable trusts regarding the resolution of complex tax and fiduciary issues.
- Featured, “Planning in a New Era of Tax Reform,” Harvard Alumni Association’s Planned Giving Newsletter (May 8, 2018)
- Quoted, “Large Tax Bill Looms for Hedge Fund Managers,” FundFire (June 7, 2017)
- Quoted, “Giving Back to Your School in a Meaningful Way,” The New York Times (Oct. 11, 2014)
- Quoted, “Estate Planning Tips for Hedge Fund Managers,” The Hedge Fund Law Report (June 2, 2014)
- Moderator, Leading By Example: Best Practices in Charitable Giving, “Impact Investing and Fiduciary Duty,” with Christopher A. Klem, Suzanne L. Shier (Northern Trust) and David Wood (Harvard Kennedy School), April 14, 2015
- Speaker, Boston Bar Association, “The Intersection of Family Dynamics and Family Foundations,” with Carolyn O. “Morey” Ward, February 27, 2015
- Speaker, Planned Giving Group of New England, “Merging Wealth Transfer with Charitable Gift Planning,” with Martin Hall, February 4, 2015
- Moderator, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education 16th Annual Estate Planning Conference, “Expanding the Universe: A Multidisciplinary, Multidimensional Look at Current Issues in Philanthropy”, with David J. Brosnan (Fidelity Charitable), Michelle A. Knight (Ropes Wealth Advisors), Mary Phillips (GMA Foundations), January 9, 2015
- Panelist, Leading By Example: Best Practices in Charitable Giving, “Across the Negotiating Table or Around it? How to Achieve Consensus on the Path to a Successful Major Gift,” with Daniel P. Carbonneau (Castle Rock Advisors), Mary Phillips (GMA Foundations), Susan Ramsey (Boston College), October 23, 2014
- Speaker, Ropes & Gray LLP Webinar, “Estate and Charitable Planning Pointers for Hedge Fund Managers,” with Marc J. Bloostein, Kimberly E. Cohen, Mark Gurevich, May 22, 2014
- Speaker, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education 16th Annual Estate Planning Conference, “The Net Investment Income Tax and Its Consequences for Trusts and Estates,” January 10, 2014
- Panelist and Moderator, Harvard Law School Fall Reunions, Estate Planning Update, with Suma Nair (Goulston & Storrs), Austin Bramwell (Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP), Anne Katsas (Port Estate Planning), October 26, 2013
- Speaker, Boston Security Analysts Society, “The Alphabet Soup of Trusts and Other Vehicles,” with Geoffrey M. Mason and Jennifer A. Pline (Harvard Management Company), October 17, 2013
- Speaker, Boston Symphony Orchestra Board Meetings, “Unpacking the Planning: Estate and Charitable Planning Ideas You Can Use,” May 3, 2013
- Speaker, Planned Giving Group of New England, “Planned Giving Disasters: Case Studies in Gifts Gone Wrong and How You Can Avoid Making the Same Mistakes,” with Carolyn M. Osteen, February 6, 2013
- Panelist and Moderator, Harvard Law School Fall Reunions, Estate Planning Update, with Suma Nair (Goulston & Storrs) and Matthew Hillery (Edwards Wildman), October 27, 2012
- Panelist, Harvard Business School Fall Reunions, “Estate and Gift Taxes--Back to the Future,” with Christopher D. Perry (Northern Trust) and Donald M. Etheridge (Harvard Business School), October 13, 2012
- Panelist, Suffolk University Advanced Legal Studies, “Comprehensive Estate Planning: Techniques and Tweaks Under the MUPC,” (presentation on estate tax apportionment), December 6, 2011
- Speaker, Boston Bar Association Continuing Legal Education Program on “In-Depth Planning for Artists and Art Collectors: A Foundation for Intellectual Property and Trusts & Estates Attorneys”, presentation on “Art & Charitable Giving,” May 11, 2011
- Speaker, Boston Bar Association, “Planned Giving Basics: An Adventure in Acronyms from CGAs to CLTs,” March 9, 2010
- Speaker, State Street Global Advisors 2009 Annual Gift Planning Conference, “Heading for the Exit: Strategies for Terminating Planned Gifts,” with Martin Hall, April 27, 2009
- Speaker, Boston Bar Association, “Tax Issues to Consider When Choosing a Trustee”, January 13, 2009
- Speaker, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education 10th Annual Estate Planning Conference, “Charitable Lead Trusts,” with Christopher E. Houston, January 9, 2009
- Speaker, State Street Global Advisors 2008 Annual Gift Planning Conference, “Charitable Gifts of Closely-Held Securities,” with Martin Hall, April 28, 2008
- Speaker, Boston Security Analysts Society, “Tax Opportunities to Exploit Ahead of Expiring Tax Legislation, an Election and Other Impending Developments,” with Christopher E. Houston, October 24, 2007