Chelsea M. Childs
Chelsea is counsel in the corporate department and a member of the firm’s asset management group. Chelsea represents investment management industry clients in a wide variety of regulatory, compliance, and transactional aspects of their businesses. She assists private funds, registered funds and their sponsors with fund structuring and formation, fund reorganizations, negotiation of service provider agreements, and ongoing operational and compliance matters. Chelsea also has extensive experience advising boards of U.S. registered funds on governance and fiduciary oversight matters.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray in 2019, Chelsea practiced at another large international law firm, where her clients included U.S. registered investment companies, investment advisers, and independent board members.
- Advises clients on investment company registration and status issues under the Investment Company Act on 1940.
- Advises clients on SEC filings for U.S. registered funds, including registration statements, shareholder reports, exemptive applications, and proxy statements.
- Serves as counsel to the DoubleLine Funds with respect to a broad range of regulatory and compliance matters, including the creation of new products.
- Represents Stone Ridge Asset Management in a variety of different matters, including new fund offerings and day-to-day compliance advice.
- Advises PIMCO on private fund formation and offering matters and all aspects of day-to-day operations, including side letter negotiations, compliance matters, and service provider arrangements. Represents PIMCO and its registered closed-end funds in a variety of ongoing corporate, regulatory and compliance matters.
- Represents Western Asset Management with respect to the ongoing offering and operation of its U.S. hedge fund complex.
- Represents the Independent Trustees of the Schwab Funds in fund governance and board related matters.
- Represented the independent board members of a large fund complex in connection with a $97 million settlement of an SEC enforcement action against the fund adviser and certain of its affiliates.
- Panelist, “Regulatory Roundtable: New Rules & Existing Regulations Impacting Asset Managers,” National Investment Company Service Association (NICSA) (August 2020)
- Moderator, “Navigating Negotiations,” 100 Women in Finance: NextGen (February 2020)
- Moderator, “ESG Product Trends & Regulatory Practices,” National Investment Company Service Association (NICSA) (September 2019)
- Panelist, “Blockchain Update for Investment Managers,” California Investment Management Symposia (November 2018)
- Presenter, “The Impact of Blockchain & Cryptocurrencies on Compliance,” National Society of Compliance Professionals (May 2018)
- JD, cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2011; Editor, Boston University Law Review; Director, J. Newton Esdaile Moot Court
- BBA (Finance, Business Economics), magna cum laude, Grand Valley State University, 2007
Admissions / Qualifications
- California, 2017
- District of Columbia, 2013
- Massachusetts, 2011