Christopher D. Comeau
Chris Comeau focuses his practice on representing public companies and financial investors in connection with public and private merger and acquisition and minority investment transactions. The public companies Chris represents operate primarily in the consumer, life sciences and medical technology industries. The financial investors Chris represents invest primarily in middle market companies in a wide range of industries, including consumer products and retail brands, services, and manufacturing. Chris has led recent transactions for Medtronic, TESARO, Shire, Pfizer, Sarepta Therapeutics, TSG Consumer Partners, Samsonite and Johnson & Johnson.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Chris spent three years with Coopers & Lybrand LLP, a predecessor firm to PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP.
- Represented Lassen Therapeutics in securing a total of $31 million in Series A financing, spread across three tranches based on achievement of certain milestones, led by Frazier Healthcare Partners, Alta Partners and Longwood Fund. The financing will provide funding for the development of antibodies as possible treatments for fibrosis, oncology, and other rare diseases.
- Represented TESARO in connection with its sale to GSK for $5.1 billion.
- Represented C&S Wholesale Grocers in connection with its sale of three warehouses and related operations to Ahold Delhaize.
- Represented Pfizer in connection with its $14 billion acquisition of Medivation, a commercial-stage oncology company.
- Represented Shire in connection with its $36 billion combination with Baxalta, a business spun out of Baxter International, for a combination of cash and stock.
- Represented Shire in its acquisition of Dyax for $5.9 billion in cash plus contingent value rights.
- Represented Mattress Firm, the largest US specialty mattress retailer, in connection with its $4 billion sale to Steinhoff International.
- Represented Medtronic in connection with its $1.3 billion acquisition of HeartWare International, a heart pump manufacturer.
- Represented Cubist Pharmaceuticals in connection with its sale to Merck for $9.5 billion.
- Represented Performance Health in connection with its initial public offering registration and ultimate sale to Patterson Medical for an undisclosed amount.
- Represented Pfizer in connection with is acquisition of several vaccine products from GSK.
- Represented Cubist Pharmaceuticals in connection with its simultaneously announced $801 million acquisition of Optimer and $818 million acquisition of Trius Therapeutics.
- Represented Genzyme Corporation, Sanofi's rare disease subsidiary, in connection with its $700 million investment in Alnylam, made in connection with the entry into a wide-ranging collaboration to pursue therapeutics to treat rare diseases.
- Represented Inspiration Biopharmaceuticals in connection with the sale of its Factor IX and OBI-1 products to Cangene Corporation and Baxter out of bankruptcy in exchange for payments that could exceed $1 billion.
- Represented one of the nation’s oldest and largest investment funds, a 35% stockholder, in connection with its participation in the sale of Idenix Pharmaceuticals to Merck for $3.9 billion.
- Represented Russian Standard in connection with its $300 million strategic PIPE investment in Central European Distribution Corporation.
- Represented Genzyme Corporation in connection with its divestiture of three non-core business units, including the sale of its Genzyme Genetics business unit to Laboratory Corporation of America for $925 million.
- Represented Genzyme Corporation in connection with its $2.9 billion acquisition of the rights to three oncology products from Bayer Pharmaceuticals.
- Represented Boston Children’s Hospital in connection with the formation of Claritas Genomics, a joint venture with Life Technologies Corporation.
- Represented a special committee of the board of directors of Affiliated Computer Services, Inc., in connection with the $8.3 billion sale of ACS to Xerox Corporation.
- Represented Samsonite in connection with its acquisitions of the Hartmann, High Sierra and Speck brands.
- Represented GT Advanced Technologies in connection with its acquisitions of Confluence Solar, Crystal Systems and Thermal Technologies.
- Represented Brooks Automation in connection with its acquisition of Helix Technology and the divestiture of its software business to Applied Materials.
Private Equity Investments
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in connection with its investments in Core Power Yoga, Dutch Bros., Vici, Power Stop, Chemical Guys, BrewDog, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Prive Reveaux, NUUN, Makeup Revolution, Voss Water from Norway, Smart Balance, CytoSport, Island Oasis, Sexy Hair Concepts, Alexis Bittar, Paige Premium Denim, Pabst Blue Ribbon, Revolve, Canyon Bicycles and Backcountry.com.
- Represented Gridiron Capital in connection with its investments in Performance Health, HM Dunn, Nex-Tech Machining, Apex Engineering International, McKenzie Sports Products, Schutt Sports, Circle System, PAS Technologies, Electronic System Protection, Ramsey Industries and Eskridge; and in connection with its sales of PAS Technologies, McKenzie Sports Products and Schutt Sports.
- Represented KarpReilly in connection with its investments in The Habit Burger Grill, Trina Turk, and Hooters of America/Texas Wings.
- Represented Berkshire Partners in connection with its sale of Fresh Start Bakeries and Party City’s acquisition of a franchisee.
- Represented Morgenthaler Private Equity in connection with its acquisition of Satellite Logistics Services.
- Quoted, “Healthcare will continue to see robust insurer activity, more mega-deals in 1H18, experts say,” Mergermarket (December 22, 2017)
- Quoted, “Anatomy Of A Merger: Grit Helps Shire Seal $32B Baxalta Buy,” Law360 (June 7, 2016)
- Quoted, “The 3 Biggest Reasons Unsolicited Takeovers Go Up In Smoke,” Law360 (April 18, 2016)
- Presenter, “How COVID-19 has and will Continue to Reshape Healthcare M&A,” webcast hosted by The Deal (December 15, 2020)
- Moderator, “How Does Pharma Get Involved in an Outside-the-Box Idea?” BioPharm America Conference (September 2015)
- Panelist, "From the Boardroom: Considerations in Option to Purchase Deals," Ropes & Gray Life Sciences Roundtable, San Francisco (January 12, 2014)
- JD, magna cum laude, Georgetown University Law Center, 1999; Fegan Award; Editor, Georgetown Law Journal
- BA, Amherst College, 1993
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 1999
- BTI Client Service All-Stars (2022)
- Lawdragon 500 - Leading Dealmakers in America (2021)
- LMG Life Sciences Finance & Transactional Attorney of the Year (2016)
- LMG Life Sciences Stars (2016)
- IFLR1000 (2014-2022)
- Legal 500 (2014, 2016-2018)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2014-2015, 2017-2019); Rising Star (2009)
- Deal of Distinction - Genzyme/Bayer transaction recognized in 2010 as the “Deal of Distinction” in the Life Sciences Category by the Licensing Executives Society, which recognizes transactions that involve creative and innovative contractual solutions to business issues