Dan Cowan focuses his practice primarily on representing private equity sponsors and strategic investors in public and private mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts and other general corporate matters.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners and Oak Hill Capital in a significant minority investment in Wrench Group, a provider of residential HVAC, plumbing, and electrical services.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners and portfolio company Super Star Car Wash in its acquisition of Wave Wash, an express conveyor car wash operator.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its acquisition of 7 Mindsets Academy, a provider of social-emotional learning curriculum and professional development to K-12 schools.
- Represented The Vistria Group in its acquisition of BioCare, a specialty pharmaceutical distribution partner that provides distribution, specialty pharmacy and logistics services.
- Represented GI Partners in its investment in Rectangle Health, a provider of healthcare financial technology and patient engagement solutions, in conjunction with existing investor TA Associates.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $18 billion acquisition of Toshiba Memory Corporation from Toshiba Corporation, by way of a Bain Capital-led consortium including Apple, Seagate Technology, Kingston Technology, Hoya, Dell Technologies and SK hynix.
- Represented TSG Consumer Partners in its investments in a number of food and beverage, health and beauty, and other consumer products companies, including Joe Hudson’s Collision Center, Hempz, Power Stop, Revolve, nuun, Zoeva, Pabst Blue Ribbon and Charming Charlie.
- Represented Preferred Freezer Services, a global network of state-of-the-art, temperature-controlled warehouses, in its acquisition by Lineage Logistics.
- Represented AVALT, a family office that makes direct private equity investments, in the purchase of Ned Stevens, a leading provider of residential gutter cleaning and essential exterior home services.
- Represented Natixis Global Asset Management in connection with multiple acquisitions and dispositions of affiliated asset management companies.
- Represented Berkshire Partners in its $2 billion transaction to acquire and combine Lightower Fiber Networks and Sidera Networks.
- Represented Gridiron Capital in its acquisition of Performance Health & Wellness, a producer of rehabilitation and wellness products, and Performance Health & Wellness in an add-on acquisition of a manufacturer of athletic training and sports medicine products.
- Represented Altamont Capital in its acquisition of Mervin Manufacturing, a snowboard manufacturing company.
- Regularly represents pro bono clients through partnerships with the Massachusetts Legal Clinic for the Homeless and Volunteer Lawyers Project.
- Negotiated hundreds of confidentiality agreements on behalf of clients reviewing potential transactions.
- Daniel Cowan, “New York’s Unconstitutional Tax on the Internet: Amazon.com v. New York State Department of Taxation & Finance and the Dormant Commerce Clause,” 88 North Carolina Law Review 1423 (2010)
- JD, with High Honors, University of North Carolina School of Law, 2011; North Carolina Law Review, Comments Editor; Order of the Coif
- BS (Business Administration), with Highest Distinction, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2008
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2011
- North Carolina, 2016
- The Best Lawyers in America – Ones to Watch (2021-2023)