David C. Chapin
Managing Partner Emeritus
David Chapin is managing partner emeritus of Ropes & Gray. Previously he was the firm’s managing partner from 2013–2019 and a member of Ropes & Gray’s policy committee from 2004–2019.
David has more than 30 years of experience advising some of the world’s leading private equity funds on mergers & acquisitions involving public companies. Clients have relied on David to represent them in a wide range of financial and strategic transactions. He has also worked with special committees and boards of directors on public company transactions. Longtime clients include Berkshire Partners, TH Lee Partners, Madison Dearborn Partners and Weston Presidio.
Clients have told Chambers Global that David “is a star” and that they benefit from his “intelligence, experience and business acumen.” David has been described by clients in Chambers USA as “first rate” and “really excellent,” winning accolades for his work on behalf of private equity funds.
David has been repeatedly cited among the leading lawyers for business by Chambers USA and Chambers Global. Best Lawyers has on multiple occasions honored David as “Lawyer of the Year” for Boston leveraged buyouts and private equity law.
- Represented Blackstone Group in its $3 billion acquisition of Emdeon, a health care services provider.
- Represented the Special Committee of the Board of Ness Technologies in its $350 million acquisition by CVCI.
- Represented Berkshire Partners, Advent International Corporation and Bain Capital in their $1.1 billion acquisition of Skillsoft PLC, a leading Software as a Service (SaaS) provider of on-demand e-Learning and performance support solutions.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners in its $1.1 billion acquisition of inVentiv, Inc., a pharmaceutical service provider.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners in its proposed $928 million acquisition of CKE Restaurants, operator of Carl's Jr. and Hardee's restaurants.
- Represented the Special Committee of the Board of Affiliated Computer Services in its $8 billion acquisition by Xerox.
- Represented the Special Committee of the Board of Bare Escentuals in its $1.8 billion acquisition by Shiseido Co.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners and Bain Capital in their $26 billion acquisition of Clear Channel Communications.
- Represented Thomas H. Lee Partners in the $3.6 billion acquisition of West Corporation, a leading customer relationship management (CRM) solution provider.
- Represented Bain Capital and The Blackstone Group in the $6 billion acquisition of Michaels Stores, the leading arts and crafts retail chain.
- Represented Berkshire Partners in its acquisition of Amscan Holdings, a leading designer and distributor of decorated party goods.
- Quoted, “Buoyed by Steady Demand, Law Firms Expected to Keep Growing in 2019,” The American Lawyer (December 27, 2018)
- Quoted, “Ropes & Gray launches risk assessment service,” Intellectual Property Magazine (September 18, 2017)
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1980
- BA, summa cum laude, Lafayette College, 1976; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 1980
- New York, 2011
- Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2006-2018, 2020)
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business (2004-2020); Eminent Practitioner (2016-2019)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2008-2020)
- Best Lawyers, Boston Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law “Lawyer of the Year” (2014-2015, 2019)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Boston Corporate Law “Lawyer of the Year” (2018)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2006-2020)
- Legal 500 (2013-2020)
- IFLR1000: The Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms (2013-2020)
- “Dealmaker of the Year,” The American Lawyer (2007)
- Lawdragon 3000: Leading Lawyers in America (2006, 2010-2012)
- Lawdragon 500: “New Stars, New Worlds” (2006)