David Y. Chen
David Y. Chen is an associate in the Litigation and Enforcement practice group. David focuses his practice on governmental and internal investigations, white collar criminal defense, trade secret matters, securities litigation, and complex civil litigation. With a particular focus in Asia, David represents clients in investigations relating to potential violations of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and other global anti-corruption laws. David also conducts anti-corruption due diligence and helps clients develop and implement internal compliance programs.
David has maintained an active and varied pro bono practice. On behalf of his clients, David has appeared and argued before the U.S. Immigration Court, the D.C. Superior Court, and an arbitral tribunal. He has also submitted briefs before the Supreme Court of the United States and the Board of Immigration Appeals. In 2016, David traveled to Nairobi, Kenya to participate in Ropes & Gray’s inaugural partnership with Lawyers Without Borders to train local practitioners on trial advocacy.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, David was a litigation associate at a large, international law firm in Washington D.C. While in law school, David interned at the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Maryland and served as a student attorney in American University’s Criminal Justice Clinic. He competed in the Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot Court in Vienna, Austria and was recognized with an honorable mention for Best Oral Advocate.
- Represented Fortune 100 pharmaceutical and medical device companies in numerous internal investigations in China and Southeast Asia relating to alleged bribery of government officials and healthcare professionals, corruption, fraud, and various other forms of employee misconduct.
- Performing work in support of Independent Compliance Monitor appointed by the DOJ and SEC in connection with FCPA settlement.
- Conducted internal investigation in South Korea for global industrial manufacturer in response to allegations of bribery of government officials and potential trade compliance violations.
- Conducted comprehensive on-site compliance and anti-corruption assessment of a global manufacturer operating in China in response to penalties levied by the U.S. Department of Justice.
- Represented multinational biotechnology company in a Chinese internal investigation relating to allegations of corruption, bribery, kickbacks, and collusion.
- Advised multiple global private equity firms in performing anti-corruption diligence with respect to real estate, pharmaceutical, and logistics investments in the Asia-Pacific region, including China, India, Singapore, South Korea, Thailand, and Australia.
- Conducted internal investigation for global hotel chain relating to allegations of improper payments to government officials and accounting fraud.
- Developed China-specific compliance policies and procedures for global life sciences company.
- Devised China-specific risk protocols for global internet technology firm.
The following matters were completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Defended former SAC Capital Advisors portfolio manager in the largest-ever criminal insider trading trial in U.S. history.
- Represented major financial institution in a trial in the Southern District of New York involving the sale of mortgage loans to Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that were allegedly in violation of FIRREA and the False Claims Act.
- Represented major financial institution in a federal lawsuit alleging violations of U.S. securities laws.
- Defended foreign national in a federal prosecution for illegal gambling.
- Conducted internal investigations on behalf of major financial institutions.