Devin Cohen joined Ropes & Gray’s corporate department in 2015 as an associate in its health care group, and has a wide range of experience in transactional and regulatory matters affecting clients across the healthcare industry, including academic medical centers, for-profit and non-profit hospitals and healthcare systems, ambulatory surgery centers, post-acute providers, physician groups, and ACOs. His transactional practice focuses on strategic affiliations, mergers and acquisitions, and complex provider alignment models. Devin provides regulatory counsel to clients seeking guidance on data privacy and security, tax-exempt models, and compliance with federal and state fraud and abuse laws.
Prior to joining the firm, Devin was an associate in the health industry advisory practice group at a prominent Boston law firm. Devin is actively involved in community service, and has fundraised for over 29 children’s hospitals nationwide and advised hospital leadership regarding on-going collaborative relationships with Fortune 500 companies and surrounding communities. He also maintains a pro bono practice focused on non-profit incorporation and oversight, and was named a 2013 AHLA pro bono champion.
- Successfully negotiated and advised clients on wide range of physician group practice acquisitions.
- Assisted with negotiating and drafting complex clinical affiliation agreements between a client health system and nationally-renowned cancer hospital, and another client health system and regional urgent care center network.
- Drafted transactional documents, managed diligence teams, and oversaw closings for client mergers and acquisitions of hospitals, health systems, ambulatory surgery centers, and DMEPOS suppliers.
- Advised non-profit, university teaching hospital on expansion opportunities with strategic non-profit and for-profit partners.
- Advises private equity firms on investment considerations for healthcare targets, including pharmacies, DME manufacturers, and Clinical Research Organizations.
- Represented and advised client on five separate taxable and tax-exempt bond issuances to finance operational expansions.
- Advised prominent healthcare system on federal and state grant procurement considerations in connection with acquisition of a research-focused medical school.
- Advises New York independent practice associations on strategic structuring and provider-contracting issues.
- Negotiated provider-based and independent management services joint ventures with non-profit and for-profit hospitals and specialty physician groups.
- Advises medical device manufacturers on compliance oversight for educational and marketing programs.
- Advised D-SNP plan sponsor compliance department on CMS program rules and Medicare Marketing Guideline requirements.
- Coordinated for-profit hospital system’s bundled payment and cost initiative (BPCI) contracting and rollout plan, and continues to advise physician groups, ACOs, and MSOs on BPCI requirements and opportunities.
- Advises conveners on BPCI Advanced implementation, contracting, and compliance with CME requirements.
- Advised medical device manufacturers on structural considerations for conforming customer contractual arrangements with Federal Anti-Kickback Statute requirements.
- Advises IPAs and PHOs on structural options for efficient rollout and payer contract negotiations.
- Acted as one of Massachusetts’ largest physician groups’ physician contracting and fraud and abuse advisor.
- Drafted and oversaw implementation of HIPAA policies and procedures for non-profit and for-profit healthcare providers.
- Advises pharmaceutical and medical device companies on sponsored and collaborative clinical trial agreement structures and contracting issues.
- Advises pharmaceutical companies on Investigator Initiated Research policies, best practices, and contractual arrangements with study sponsors.
- Advised clients on compliance with c. 224 of Massachusetts health reform and state pharmaceutical marketing laws.
- Co-author, "How Conduct Abroad Impacts Health Care Business In US," Law360 (October 12, 2017)
- Contributor, “Drafting Privacy Policies,” legal guide by Bureau of National Affairs (January, 2015)
- Author, “Health Law Case Brief: Paula Tartarini vs. Department of Mental Retardation,” Health Law Case Brief, Boston Bar Association Health Law Reporter (Fall/Winter, 2012)