Jacqueline Chan is an associate in the business restructuring practice in Hong Kong. Her practice focuses on cross-border restructuring transactions, investments in distressed and special situations syndicated and structured lending and other financing transactions restructuring transactions.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Jacqueline worked at a leading international law firm in the Hong Kong, London and Beijing offices and a leading offshore law firm in the Hong Kong office, where she worked on a wide range of international financing, debt capital markets, fund and structured finance transactions. She previously practiced in the firm’s Hong Kong office with the finance group.
- Advised Kaisa Group, a Hong Kong-listed real estate company operating in China, on the restructuring of its offshore liabilities. Named “Restructuring Deal of the Year” for 2017 at the IFLR Asia Awards.
- Advised a multinational asset manager on a loan transaction to an Indian group in the LED screen business in connection with its acquisitions in Australia and New Zealand.
- Advised one of Asia’s leading special situations funds on credit-linked transactions throughout Asia.
- Advised a syndicate of lenders of a US$150m loan to Jindal Steel & Power Mauritius Limited.
- Advised the joint official liquidators of LDK Solar Co. Limited.
Transaction completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Advised a Hong Kong-based investment and advisory firm on a number of limited recourse aircraft financing transactions involving the use of orphan SPV and segregated portfolio company structures.
- Advised a Chinese financial institution on the provisional liquidation of China Huishan Dairy Holdings Company Limited.
- Advised one of Asia’s leading special situations funds on credit and equity-linked transactions throughout Asia.
- Advised an Asia-based private equity fund on the financing relating to its acquisition of Inter Milan football club.
- Advised a leading bank on various real estate finance transactions.
- Advised an affiliated group of a leading Taiwanese bank on an internal restructuring and subsequent refinancing.
- Advised an Indonesian airline company on its sukuk offering.
- Advised a leading bank as international counsel on its RMB1 billion panda bond offering in the China Interbank Bond Market.
- Advised Bank of China (Hong Kong) Limited as international counsel on its RMB10 billion panda bond offering program.
- Represented the Government of The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region in its US$1 billion sukuk offering (wakalah structure).
- Represented a leading global investment bank, amongst others, as joint lead managers' counsel on State Grid International Development's €1 billion dual-tranche guaranteed notes issuance with the benefit of a keepwell deed provided by State Grid Corporation of China.
- Represented ICBC International and others as joint lead managers' counsel on Industrial and Commercial Bank of China's US$5.7 billion equivalent Basel III-compliant Additional Tier 1 preference shares issuance.
- Advised Deutsche Bank and others as joint lead managers' counsel on Shanghai Huayi Group's US$350 million guaranteed notes issuance with the benefit of a keepwell and liquidity support deed.
- Represented various leading banks as managers' counsel on the US$1 billion inaugural sukuk offering by the Government of The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (Ijarah structure).
- Advised the Goodman Logistics Fund Group as issuer's counsel on its medium term note program establishment and subsequent drawdown.
- Master's degree in law, University of Hong Kong, 2011
- Postgraduate Certificate in Laws, University of Hong Kong, 2008
- Bachelor degree in law, University of Cambridge, 2007
- BSc Econ, University of Warwick, 2005
Admissions / Qualifications
- Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2011
- Managing Intellectual Property: Restructuring & Insolvency Rising Star (2021)
- Expert Guide: Banking & Finance Rising Star (2020)