Jimmy Chen is an associate in the intellectual property transactions group and advises public and private companies, entrepreneurs, and other clients on business transactions involving intellectual property, including licensing and technology transfers, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and other strategic transactions that involve the commercialization of intellectual property or technology. Jimmy has represented clients in a variety of industries including software, big data and machine learning, hardware, semiconductors, entertainment, video games, theme parks, consumer products, and medical devices, and has experience in cross-border transactions, especially those involving Greater China.
Prior to joining Ropes and Gray, Jimmy was an associate at an international law firm in San Francisco where he represented a variety of private and public companies in technology and intellectual property transactions. Jimmy was also foreign legal counsel at a leading Chinese law firm in Shanghai where he represented multinational companies in cross-border transactions throughout Greater China and the Asia-Pacific region.
- Represented private equity firms in the acquisition and sale of various companies in a range of industries including consumer products and retail, telecom, and educational services.*
- Represented a telecom company in its acquisition of a correctional communications and technology solutions company.*
- Represented a publicly-traded semiconductor company in strategic acquisitions of early-stage and mature technology companies.*
- Represented a financial institution in its strategic acquisitions of a deal aggregator company and a royalty-processing platform provider.*
- Represented a film production company in numerous licensing and merchandising agreements involving video games, consumer products, and other themed services.*
- Represented a publicly-traded consumer products company in numerous strategic alliances and licensing transactions involving the development of new product lines and entry into new territories.*
- Represented a consortium of Chinese state-owned companies in its joint venture with an American film studio for the development of a first-class theme park in Beijing, China.*
*Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- JD, University of Southern California, Gould School of Law, 2012; Member of the Interdisciplinary Law Journal
- BA (Political Science and History), Departmental Honors, University of California, Davis, 2009