Jimmy Chen is an associate in the intellectual property transactions group and advises public and private companies, investors, entrepreneurs, and other clients on business transactions involving intellectual property, including licensing and technology transfers, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, and other strategic transactions that involve the commercialization of intellectual property or technology. Jimmy has represented clients in a variety of industries including software and hardware, big data and machine learning, semiconductors, entertainment, video games, theme parks, consumer products, life sciences and medical devices, and has experience in cross-border transactions, especially those involving Greater China.
Prior to joining Ropes and Gray, Jimmy was an associate at an international law firm in San Francisco where he represented a variety of private and public companies in technology and intellectual property transactions. Jimmy was also foreign legal counsel at a leading Chinese law firm in Shanghai where he represented multinational companies in cross-border transactions throughout Greater China and the Asia-Pacific region.
- Represented a digital health technology company in its technology collaboration with a leading medical devices company involving a clinical study for treatments of depression.
- Represented a major publicly-traded technology company in connection with development and collaboration agreements for its virtual reality products.
- Represented a SaaS company in a strategic collaboration with a major cloud-services platform company for the development of field-service management technology.
- Represented a leading publicly-traded developer of instruments and technology for the life sciences sector in its strategic collaboration with a cloud-based data analytics provider.
- Represented Qorvo in numerous acquisitions of semiconductor and hardware companies including Decawave Ltd., a leading developer of ultra-wideband technology.
- Advised Blackstone, TPG Capital, L.P., TSG Consumer Partners, Avista Capital Partners, and other private equity firms with respect to intellectual property matters in connection with their investments in the consumer products, retail, technology, software, life sciences, medical devices, telecom, and other sectors.
- Advised life sciences companies in connection with various licensing, development, collaboration, manufacturing, and commercialization agreements with biotechnology and consumer product companies, as well as academic and research institutions.
- Represented a film production company in numerous licensing, merchandising, and other commercial agreements involving video games, television and film, consumer products, and other themed services.*
- Represented a consortium of Chinese state-owned companies in its joint venture with an American film studio for the development of a first-class theme park in Beijing, China.*
*Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- JD, University of Southern California, Gould School of Law, 2012; Member of the Interdisciplinary Law Journal
- BA (Political Science and History), Departmental Honors, University of California, Davis, 2009
Admissions / Qualifications
- California, 2012