Kimberly E. Cohen
A partner in Ropes & Gray’s private client group, clients turn to Kimberly Cohen for her strategic planning advice and overall expertise in the estate planning arena. Kim is perennially ranked at the top of her field by The Best Lawyers in America and Chambers.
Kim’s practice covers both the Boston and New York regions, where she regularly counsels entrepreneurs, partners of private equity firms, venture capitalists, private and public company officers and shareholders, and high net-worth individuals and families in the development and implementation of sophisticated planning techniques to aid with accumulation, preservation and transfer of wealth. A source praised Kim’s work to Chambers High Net Worth, saying "Kim is incredibly intelligent, extremely personable, always available, and what's neat about her is that she's able to straddle the Boston and New York networks. Her skill level is focused on private equity and hedge fund clients, which is a discipline that requires very precise skills and being on top of the legislative environment."
Kim is a trustee for many family trusts, working closely with clients in providing strategic advice on the investment, tax and legal aspects of these arrangements and advising trust beneficiaries. Her practice also involves advising clients in achieving philanthropic goals using private foundations, charitable remainder and lead trusts, charitable gift annuities and endowment planning designed to accomplish efficient tax results.
Kim is a frequent lecturer on new developments in the estate planning area including at the Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning, The American College of Trust and Estate Counsel (“ACTEC”) Annual Meeting and The American Law Institute.
- Quoted, “GST Exemption a Victim of ‘Sloppy Drafting,’ but It May Not Matter,” Tax Analysts (March 16, 2018)
- Quoted, “New Inflation Adjustment May Complicate Estate Planning,” Tax Analysts (February 7, 2018)
- Quoted, “Guidance Plan Placement May Signal Estate Project Course Change,” Tax Analysts (February 7, 2018)
- Quoted, “Estate Planning Tips for Hedge Fund Managers,” The Hedge Fund Law Report (June 2, 2014)
- Author, “Disposition of Closely-Held Business Interests,” Drafting Wills & Trusts in Massachusetts, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Third Edition, 2012
- Author, “Trust Clauses Regarding the Management of Real Estate and Business Interests,” Drafting Wills & Trusts in Massachusetts, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, Third Edition, 2012
- Co-author, “Trust and Estate Basics,” Selling Your Business: The Transition from Entrepreneur to Investor, Wealth Management Services Inc., 2004
- Co-presenter, “Hot Topics,” ACTEC National Meeting, San Antonio, Texas (March 2018)
- Co-presenter, “Non-Tax Developments Coming (or in) Your Way,” Representing Estate and Trust Beneficiaries and Fiduciaries 2017, American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education, Boston, Massachusetts(July 2017)
- Panelist, 51st Annual Heckerling Institute on Estate Planning, Non-Tax Developments in Estate Planning Panel, Orlando, Florida (January 2017)
- Panelist, American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education triannual national webcasts, Advanced Estate Planning Practice Updates (2013 - 2018)
- Co-presenter, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, “Marital Estate Planning & State Estate Taxes,” 17th Annual New England Estate Planning Conference (2016)
- Presenter, “Decanting: Facts, Fallacies, Fantasies,” Practical Trust and Estate Planning Conference, American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education, San Francisco, California (April 2015)
- Co-presenter, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, “Estate Planning in a Low Interest Environment,” 14th Annual New England Estate Planning Conference (2013)
- Co-chair, American Law Institute Continuing Legal Education Group’s Sophisticated Estate Planning Techniques (September 2011)
- Presenter, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, “Issues Involving Prior QPRT Planning,” 11th Annual New England Estate Planning Conference (2010)
- Presenter, Massachusetts Continuing Legal Education, “Qualified Disclaimers & Disposition of Certain Life Estates,” Estate, Gift & Generation Skipping Transfer Tax: BasicsPlus Seminar (2007, 2009, 2011 and 2013)
- JD, magna cum laude, Cornell Law School, 1997; Order of the Coif
- BA (Economics and Psychology), with Honors, Dartmouth College, 1994