Lisa C. Chan
Lisa C. Chan is a litigation associate in the New York office and a member of the firm’s litigation and enforcement practice group. Lisa’s practice focuses on corporate governance, securities, and other complex commercial litigation. She regularly represents corporations, directors and officers, and special committees, in litigation involving mergers and acquisitions, hostile takeovers, tender offers, books and records demands, and class and derivative claims. She has acquired significant trial experience over the course of her career.
Before joining the firm, Lisa practiced law at another top law firm and clerked in both the Eastern District of New York and the Delaware Supreme Court. During law school, Lisa interned at both the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of New York and the Securities & Exchange Commission in Washington, D.C. Prior to law school, she lived in Beijing, Shanghai, and Hong Kong for two years, studying Mandarin and working at the United Nations.
Lisa has represented:
- Oxbow Carbon & Mineral Holdings, Inc. and William I. Koch against breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty claims in complex commercial litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery. Lisa was a member of the Ropes & Gray trial team for this case.
- Sterling Capital Partners, L.P. and Sterling Capital Partners GmbH & Co., KG against fraud, misrepresentation, and unfair trade practices claims in multiple actions in North Carolina federal and state court.
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals in its $53 billion hostile takeover bid of Allergan in expedited litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery.*
- Activision Blizzard, Inc. in class and derivative litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery based on the company’s $18.9 billion business combination with Vivendi, S.A.*
- Jos. A. Bank in a $1.8 billion acquisition by The Men’s Wearhouse in expedited litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery.*
- Hillshire Brands against class action lawsuits filed in Delaware, Maryland, and New Jersey challenging the company’s termination of its $6.6 billion merger agreement with Pinnacle Foods and subsequent $8.7 billion tender offer acquisition by Tyson Foods.*
- UBS AG in a federal securities class action and two derivative lawsuits in Puerto Rico relating to the company’s underwriting, financial advisory and broker-dealer activities.*
- Bank of America in a stockholder lawsuit challenging the bank’s practices relating to its mortgage-backed securities business and LIBOR submissions.*
- The founder and CEO of a specialty lending business in a confidential arbitration hearing.
- A special committee of the board of directors of a biopharmaceutical company, advising and assisting the special committee in investigating allegations regarding certain allegedly inappropriate compensation practices.
- Various corporations in responding to stockholder books and records demands.
* Work completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray.
- Moderator, “Taking and Defending Depositions: Strategic Tips and Techniques,” New York City Bar Association (June 2018)
- Panelist, “Best Practices in Litigation Holds and Document Preservation,” Asian American Bar Association of New York’s 2017 Fall Conference (September 2017)