Michael E. Connolly
Michael Connolly joined Ropes & Gray in 2013 and is an associate in the life sciences practice group. Michael’s practice primarily focuses on the representation of pharmaceutical, biotechnology, medical device and health care companies and non-profit institutions. He advises his clients in a variety of corporate and commercial transactions, including minority equity investments, mergers and asset acquisitions, start-up and formation matters, corporate governance, debt and equity financings, intellectual property licensing transactions, strategic collaboration agreements and other general corporate matters. Michael also represents venture capital, private equity, and other institutional investors in connection with investments in companies in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and other industries.
- Representation of Tmunity Therapeutics, a private clinical-stage biotherapeutics company, in connection with its $100+ million Series A financing, as well as on various ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Representation of Seventh Sense Biosystems, a private medical device company, in various equity financings, licensing transactions, and a range of ongoing corporate and commercial matters
- Representation of a variety of venture-backed life sciences, including Foghorn Therapeutics, Sigilon Therapeutics, GNS Healthcare, Verax Biomedical, in connection with equity financings, licensing and collaboration transactions, corporate governance matters, and various other ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Representation of Takeda Pharmaceuticals in a $230 million collaboration and license agreement with, and related equity investment in, Wave Life Sciences.
- Representation of Takeda Pharmaceuticals in connection with the spin-out of Cerevance, a neuroscience company focused on discovering and developing novel therapeutics for neurological and psychiatric disorders.
- Representation of Upserve, a cloud-based restaurant management and POS platform, in connection with a $100+ million investment by Vista Equity Partners.
- Representation of Civitas Therapeutics in its acquisition by Acorda Therapeutics for $525 million in cash. Acorda will obtain worldwide rights to CVT-301 and ARCUS™ pulmonary delivery technology and manufacturing facility as part of the transaction.
- Representation of a leading children’s hospital in connection with a strategic affiliation and a tax-exempt public debt offering, among other corporate matters.
- Representation of a leading medical device company in multiple acquisitions, both domestically and internationally.
- Representation of Adhesys Medical, a surgical adhesive company, in connection with its acquisition by The Grünenthal Group.
- Representation of ethris GmbH, a mRNA therapeutics company, in connection with a strategic research collaboration with MedImmune
- Representation of various nonprofit organizations in connection with filing for recognition of exemption under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code and updating corporate organizational documents.
- Representation of a global research and development-based biopharmaceutical company in connection with a strategic transaction to develop a novel treatment of multiple myeloma.
- Co-author, “Delaware appraisal decisions,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (December 5, 2018)