Patricia I. Chen
Patty focuses her practice in the areas of corporate restructurings and debt finance, including stand-alone reorganizations and liquidations in Chapter 11, bankruptcy financings and acquisitions, adversary proceedings, out-of-court restructurings, and UCC foreclosures. She has experience in representing loan agents, indenture trustees, secured and unsecured creditors, and corporate debtors.
Prior to law school, Patty worked as the grant writer for Asian American LEAD, a community-based nonprofit serving Asian immigrants and refugees in the District of Columbia and Maryland.
- Represented administrative agents, collateral agents, and indenture trustees in several chapter 11 and cross-border proceedings, including True Religion Apparel, Inc., CGG Holding (US) Inc., Abeinsa Holding Inc., Erickson Incorporated, Everyware Global, Inc., Nuverra Environmental Solutions, Inc., Quicksilver Resources, Inc., Walter Energy, Inc., and Vanguard Natural Resources, LLC.
- Represented a stalking horse bidder in an auction to purchase a manufacturer of modular homes via a section 363 sale in the chapter 7 proceeding of Innovative Building Systems, LLC.
- Represented the Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors of Special Devices, Inc.
- Represented Silicon Graphics, Inc. in its second Chapter 11 restructuring.
- Represented several large university endowments in defending a major bankruptcy clawback action.
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2007; Member, Board of Student Advisors
- BS (Biology, Mathematics), cum laude, Duke University, 2002; Benjamin N. Duke Leadership Scholar
Admissions / Qualifications
- Alabama, 2014
- Massachusetts, 2007
- Supreme Court of the United States, 2019
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, 2015
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 2022