Uven Chong joined Ropes & Gray in 2019 as a technical advisor in the firm’s intellectual property group.
Prior to joining the firm, Uven was a senior lead engineer at a major management and technology consulting firm, where he advised government clients on policies for the use and regulation of emerging autonomous technologies, such as unmanned aircraft systems and urban air mobility. Uven has also consulted for the World Bank and the Millennium Challenge Corporation, where he evaluated the road safety impact of large construction projects in emerging economies.
Uven earned a PhD in Engineering from the University of Cambridge. As part of his thesis, he led innovative research on the environmental impacts of emissions control technologies for heavy duty diesel engines.
- Supporting a top cybersecurity company in developing a strategy to protect its patent portfolio by conducting a comparative analysis against a major competitor.
- Supporting a major auto manufacturer in defending against patent assertions on components of its vehicles’ sensor technologies.
- Chong, U.; Hopkins, O. “An International Experience on the Evolution of Road Costs During the Project Lifecycle,” Transport Policy (2016).
- Chong, U.; Swanson, J.J.; Boies, A.M. “Air Quality Evaluation of London Paddington Train Station,” Environmental Research Letters (2015).
- Chong, U.; Yim, H.L.S.; Barrett, S.R.H.; Boies, A.M. “Air Quality and Climate Impacts of Alternative Bus Technologies in Greater London,” Environmental Science and Technology (2014).
- Chong, U. “Hot Air: The Big Problem with Vehicles that Run on Natural Gas: Methane,” Slate Magazine (2013).
- Chong, U. “The Worldwide Ramifications of South Africa’s Labor Disputes,” Slate Magazine (2013).
- Panelist, “Drones at Airports,” North Carolina Drone Summit (2019)
- Presenter, “The Environmental Impacts of Unmanned Aircraft Systems and Urban Air Mobility,” Cambridge University Engineering Department Lecture (2019)
- Panelist, “Urban Air Mobility,” Choctaw Nation Annual Emerging Aviation Technology Conference (2019)
- Presenter, “Public Uses of Unmanned Aircraft Systems,” Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting (2019)
- Presenter, “Environmental Impacts of Unmanned Aircraft Systems,” Transportation Research Board Annual Meeting (2019)
- Presenter, “Managing Unmanned Aircraft Systems in the Vicinity of Airports,” International Conference on Transportation and Development (2019)
- PhD (Engineering), University of Cambridge, 2014
- MPhil (Engineering for Sustainable Development), University of Cambridge, 2010
- BSE (Mechanical Engineering), cum laude, Arizona State University, 2008
- BA (Economics), cum laude, Arizona State University, 2008