Zachary N. Coseglia
Managing Principal and Head of Innovation of R&G Insights Lab
Zach Coseglia is a pioneer in the legal industry and a trusted advisor to clients looking for human-centered, analytically powered and digitally enabled approaches to problem solving and risk management. He is managing principal and head of innovation and co-leader of R&G Insights Lab, an innovative, full-service legal consulting practice and the industry’s first combined analytics and behavioral science offering.
An experienced litigator, investigator, and former compliance executive, Zach brings to his work deep knowledge of the legal and regulatory realities facing his clients – and has carved a unique path in the industry by leaning into his creative and entrepreneurial instincts. He is a thought leader on the use of analytics to support more informed, risk aware decision-making; and is dedicated to helping organizations unlock the full value of their enterprise data.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Zach served as head of global compliance monitoring, analytics and digital at a global biopharmaceutical company. In that capacity, he built an industry-leading global compliance monitoring program and oversaw the development of analytically powered digital solutions that have transformed that organization’s approach to risk management. He also led a digital compliance office that advised business leaders on the risks associated with emerging technologies and operated as an internal innovation hub, designing digital solutions to simplify and automate internal processes. Zach is also responsible for building one of the industry’s first compliance-embedded analytics teams, comprised of engineers, statisticians, data scientists and visualization experts.
Zach previously served as an assistant general counsel and lead China investigator for the same biopharmaceutical company. In this role, he had the opportunity to live and work in Beijing and Shanghai, and emerged as an early leader in the use of data and analytics to drive an effective, efficient and outcomes-driven risk management program.
Over the course of his career, clients have engaged Zach to advise them on critical organizational issues, including strategy and risk-based decision making; risk assessments and proactive reviews; internal investigations; program design; and other compliance, ethics and risk management activities.
Zach builds on these past experiences in his leadership of R&G Insights Lab, which represents a cross-industry advisory capability that combines world-class legal services with specialized expertise in analytics, behavioral science, and strategic consulting.
- Quoted, “Artificial Intelligence for Anti-Corruption Compliance: Five Workarounds for Asymmetric Data Sets,” The Anti-Corruption Report (February 3, 2021)
- Quoted, “Artificial Intelligence for Anti-Corruption Compliance: Building a Model,” The Anti-Corruption Report (December 2, 2020)
- Quoted, “Artificial Intelligence for Anti-Corruption Compliance: Foundations,” The Anti-Corruption Report (October 28, 2020)
- Moderator and panelist, The Corporate World Turned Upside Down: Measuring Change in Culture, Compliance and Innovation in the Era of COVID-19 and Beyond (November 2020)
- Guest lecturer, Intro to Compliance Analytics: Building a Data-Driven Compliance Program, BU Law School (Compliance Policy Clinic) (November 2020)
- Speaker, The Ethics Movement: Data and Analytics, Converge20 (October 2020)
- Panelist, Measuring Up: Using Analytics and Behavioral Techniques to Manage Culture, Conduct and Compliance, Institutional Investor Legal Forum (September 2020)
- Speaker, Digital Transformation of a Compliance Program End-to-End: From Spend Approval to Continuous Spend Monitoring, SCCE (May 2020)
- Speaker, Maximizing the Use of Data in Investigations and Compliance Programs, PLI’s The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and International Anti-Corruption Developments (2019)
- Co-Chair, CBI’s 6th Annual Compliance Monitoring Conference, Strategies and Tools to Mitigate Risk and Drive Proactive Monitoring Practices (2018)
- Speaker, Right-Size Your Global Ethics and Compliance Monitoring Program, CBI’s 6th Annual Monitoring Conference, Strategies and Tools to Mitigate Risk and Drive Proactive Monitoring Practices (2018)
- Speaker, Maximizing the Use of Data in Investigations and Compliance Programs, PLI’s The Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and International Anti-Corruption Developments (2018)
- Speaker, Leveraging Technology Innovations to Enhance Your Corporate Compliance Programs and Make Your Employees Actually Want to Participate, ACI’s 11th Advanced Forum on FCPA & Anti-Corruption for the Life Sciences Industry (2017)
- Speaker, Data Analytics in Real Life: How Companies and Outside Counsel are Now Leveraging Technology to Improve Risk Assessments, Investigations and Anti-Corruption Compliance, ACI’s 34th International Conference on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (2017)
- Speaker, How Companies are Leveraging Reasonable Metrics to Strengthen their Anti-Corruption Compliance Programs and Defend them to Regulators, 33rd International Conference on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (2016)
- Assistant to Lecturer, The Strategic Management of a Mass Tort: Legal and Business Challenges Arising from the COX-2 Inhibitor Litigations, Harvard Law School
- JD, Boston University School of Law, 2005
- BS, summa cum laude, Boston University, 2002
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2005
- Massachusetts Lawyers Weekly, Up and Coming Lawyers (2012)
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers, Rising Star