Jose F. DeMedeiros
Joe focuses his practice on representing private equity firms and strategic investors in the structuring and negotiation of mergers and acquisitions, leveraged buyouts, cross-border transactions, minority investments and divestitures across a broad range of industries. Joe also regularly advises private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies on general corporate governance, compliance, equity and general operational matters.
During law school, Joe served as Editor-in-Chief of the Suffolk Transnational Law Review. Prior to joining the firm, Joe worked in various positions in state and local government including several years as an elected member of his hometown’s city council.
- Represented Bain Capital Double Impact in its acquisition of TeachTown, a leading provider of evidence-based education curriculum software for students with special needs.
- Represented Advent International in its acquisition of Forescout Technologies, Inc., a leading cybersecurity firm based in Palo Alto, CA.
- Represented Bain Capital in its investment in Zelis Healthcare and RedCard Systems.
- Represented Bain Capital Ventures and its portfolio company, defi Solutions, in its merger with Sagent Auto.
- Represented Toast, Inc. in its acquisition of StratEx, a leading provider of HR and payroll software for restaurants.
- Served on in-house legal team at Bain Capital on a twelve-month secondment supporting several business units, including North America Private Equity, Bain Capital Double Impact and Bain Capital Ventures.
- Represented Audax Group in its acquisition of Ecolab Inc.’s Equipment Care Business.
- Advised CMC Capital Partners in its joint venture with Creative Artists Agency, a global entertainment and sports agency, creating CAA China.
- Represented Bain Capital in its acquisition of Blue Coat Systems, a software security provider, and in its subsequent sale of Blue Coat Systems to Symantec.
- Represented Reebok International Ltd. in its sale of Mitchell & Ness Nostalgia Co.
- Represented GHO Capital Partners, a European health care specialist investor, in its acquisition of Canadian-based Caprion Biosciences, a leading provider of proteomics and immune monitoring services to the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry.
- Regularly advise institutional investors, including AVALT, Baillie Gifford Overseas Limited, the Dragoneer Investment Group and the Putnam Funds in various venture and growth capital investments in the U.S. and overseas.
- Represented Bain Capital in its $1.8 billion sale of Applied Systems, Inc., a leading provider of software solutions and services to insurance companies.
- Represented Genzyme Corporation in its equity investment in Voyager Therapeutics, made in connection with a research collaboration related to novel gene therapies.
- Represented Genzyme Corporation, Sanofi's rare disease subsidiary, in connection with its $700 million investment in Alnylam, made in connection with a wide-ranging collaboration to pursue therapeutics to treat rare diseases.
- Represented Claritas Genomics, Inc., a clinical genetic diagnostic testing company, in its $15 million Series B financing.
- Represented Altamont Capital in its majority equity investment in Legacy ER & Urgent Care, a leading operator of hybrid standalone emergency room and urgent care clinics.
- Represented Altamont Capital in its investment in CHE Behavioral Health Services, a leading provider of behavioral health services to senior care facilities.
- Represented DFW Capital in its equity investment in Fleetwash, Inc., the nation’s leading provider of mobile truck washing and facility cleaning services.
- "Global Trade Law – China’s Export Restraints Found To Be Inconsistent With Its Obligations As A Member Of The World Trade Organization – China – Measures Related To The Exportation Of Various Raw Materials," 35 Suffolk Transnational Law Review 203 (2012)
- JD, summa cum laude, Suffolk University Law School, 2013; Editor-in-Chief, Suffolk Transnational Law Review; Suffolk University Law Dean’s Public Citizenship Award (2013)
- MBA, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, 2008
- BA (Sociology), University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, 1999
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2013