Gregory L. Demers
Greg Demers is a litigation associate in the firm’s Boston office. Greg rejoined Ropes & Gray in 2013 following federal clerkships with Chief Judge Dennis Jacobs in the Second Circuit and District Judge Michael Ponsor in the District of Massachusetts. He focuses his practice on securities litigation and enforcement matters, as well as a broad range of complex commercial disputes.
Greg has experience in all stages of litigation, including motion practice, discovery, trial, and appeal. His clients have included hedge funds, private equity firms, financial services companies, educational institutions, and individual directors and officers of public and private companies.
Greg also maintains an active pro bono practice. He has successfully represented asylum-seekers fleeing from political persecution, individual parents seeking custody of their children, and low-income tenants facing disability discrimination. Recently Greg obtained a favorable ruling by the Third Circuit Court of Appeals overturning a decision by the Board of Immigration Appeals and eventually terminating deportation proceedings against an indigent client.
- Currently representing private equity firm in responding to SEC investigation into allegations of insider trading.
- Currently representing former public company general counsel in SEC investigation into alleged disclosure violations.
- Represented broker-dealers in various regulatory inquiries by the Massachusetts Securities Division.
- Represented private equity firm in response to SEC subpoena concerning alleged accounting irregularities at client’s portfolio company.
- Conducted investigation on behalf of special committee of a public company board of directors in response to shareholder derivative demand concerning director compensation.
- Conducted investigation on behalf of medical device company into whistleblower allegations made by former member of senior management.
- Conducted investigation on behalf of a special committee of a closely held company’s board of directors into allegations of self-dealing by executive officers.
- Conducted investigation on behalf of special committee of a public company board of directors following bankruptcy filing and initiation of numerous regulatory inquiries.
D&O / Class Action Litigation
- Currently representing former public company officer in multi-pronged litigation, including a securities class action in federal district court and parallel regulatory inquiries into alleged accounting irregularities.
- Represented airfreight carrier against Sherman Act price-fixing claims in putative class action lawsuit.
- Currently defending investment fund and former portfolio company directors and officers in fraudulent conveyance litigation brought in federal district court.
- Defended private equity firm and former directors and officers in multi-jurisdictional litigation in state and federal court alleging mismanagement and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Obtained dismissal of putative ERISA class action brought by plan participants in the Southern District of New York.
M&A / Corporate Governance Disputes
- Currently representing hedge fund in corporate governance dispute with directors, officers, and shareholders of early stage natural gas company.
- Represented investment manager in disclosure-based class-action litigation brought by shareholders in Massachusetts Superior Court seeking to enjoin merger.
- Represented privately held media company in expedited litigation with joint venture partner over asset sale in Delaware Court of Chancery.
- Defended closely held corporation’s board member against claims in Massachusetts Superior Court challenging client’s qualifications as a director.
- Represented public company directors in activist takeover litigation in the Delaware Court of Chancery.
- Represented hedge fund in dispute with joint venture partner over interpretation of LLC agreement.
Other Business Litigation
- Defended educational institution against wage-and-hours claims brought in the District of Massachusetts under the Fair Labor Standards Act by client’s current and former employees.
- Obtained dismissal of ERISA claims for pension benefits by former employee in the District of Connecticut.
- Represented hedge fund in bankruptcy litigation against potential acquirer of distressed debt.
- Defended non-profit organization against breach of contract and Chapter 93A claims in Massachusetts Superior Court.
- Co-author, “Protecting Colleges & Universities Against Real Losses in a Virtual World,” The John Marshall Journal of Information Technology & Privacy Law Volume 33, Issue 2 (2017)
- Co-author, “The Antisocial Effects of Social Media and How Colleges and Universities Can Manage Related Litigation Risks,” Pittsburgh Journal of Technology Law & Policy (December 2017)
- Co-author, “Martoma tips the balance on insider trading liability,” Westlaw Journal’s Securities Litigation & Regulation (October 12, 2017)
- Co-author, “Chancery court addresses standing to bring fiduciary duty claims following freeze-out merger,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (June 14, 2017)
- Co-author, “Three decisions consider effect of stockholder approval on challenged transactions,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (May 24, 2017)
- Co-author, “SEC Enforcement Trends: Minor Accounting and Disclosure Infractions Attracting Major Scrutiny,” Bloomberg BNA Tax and Accounting Center (April 13, 2017)
- Co-author, “Three Days in August: Delaware’s Evolving View of the Impact of Stockholder Approval on Post-Closing M&A Litigation,” Insights: The Corporate & Securities Law Advisor (November 2016)
- Co-author, “DOL Fiduciary Rule Implications for Private Investment Fund Managers,” Bloomberg BNA “Securities Regulation & Law Report” (June 13, 2016)
- Co-author, “Ch. 1: Fraud and Negligent Misrepresentation,” MCLE Business Torts in Massachusetts, 2nd Edition, MCLE (2016)
- Co-author, “Omnicare's Square Peg Problem: Importing a Section 11 Standard Into a Section 10 Framework,” Bloomberg BNA Securities Regulation & Law Report (March 11, 2016)
- Co-author, “Plaintiffs strike out in two recent Delaware appraisal actions,” International Law Office (September 2, 2015)
- Co-author, “Revisiting Corporate Scienter: In Search of a Middle Ground,” Bloomberg BNA “Securities Regulation & Law Report,” (April 2015)
- Co-author, “Delaware Clamps Down on Disclosure-Based M&A Litigation” Insights:The Corporate & Securities Law Advisor (January 2014)