Andrew J. Dale
Andrew J. Dale, a partner in Ropes & Gray’s Hong Kong office, is a member of the firm’s Litigation and Enforcement practice. He has more than a decade of experience in Hong Kong representing U.S.-based and international corporations in litigation, arbitration and corporate investigations.
Andrew is recognized in Chambers Asia-Pacific, Legal 500 Asia-Pacific and Chambers Global for his regional anti-corruption and international investigations work.
Andrew also regularly acts on local and global pro bono matters, including matters relating to human trafficking.
- Advising a global investment management company on an ICC arbitration regarding its investment in an Asia based business.
- Advised a U.S.-listed company in a HKIAC arbitration against its supplier.
- Advised various U.S. based investors on dispute resolution strategy in respect of complex issues arising out of their investments in various jurisdictions in Asia.
- Led internal investigations on behalf of a Fortune 500 client in China.
- Acted for a U.S.-listed company regarding whistleblower allegations relating to its Indian subsidiary.
- Conducted anti-corruption due diligence in connection with private equity and other investments in China, India and S.E. Asia.
- Conducted FCPA due diligence on subsidiaries in China and India for a U.S. listed multi-national company.
- Advised various U.S. based investment funds and foundations relating to obtaining information regarding investments in China and elsewhere in Asia.
- Advising client regarding Modern Slavery Act issues in South East Asia.
- Conducted anti-corruption training for clients in Asia, including in China, India and Singapore.
- Regularly advises clients on dispute resolution clauses for transactions in Asia.
The following transactions were completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Assisted a U.S.-listed company on an FCPA investigation relating to its Chinese subsidiaries.
- Acted for a French conglomerate in an ad hoc arbitration in Hong Kong in relation to a shareholders dispute.
- Advised a Hong Kong-listed company subject to an SFC investigation.
- Represented the vendor of a major cosmetics business in China in a multi-million dollar ICC arbitration.
- Represented a U.S.-listed company relating to various accounting issues in its Asia operations.
- Acted for a Hong Kong-listed manufacturer in a high-profile dispute related to the alleged use of confidential information and conspiracy to injure the client’s business.
- Represented a New York-based investment fund relating to a US$200 million real estate investment involving HKIAC arbitration and settled by mediation.
- Represented a Taiwanese client in the Court of Final Appeals applying to challenge jurisdiction of the Hong Kong court in several cases involving major claims relating to breach of fiduciary duty and constructive trust.
- Advised a major Hong Kong technology conglomerate on an application for a letter for request for the disclosure of documents by a bank to assist in pursuing a US$700 million breach of contract/fraud claim in the California courts.
- Acted for a consortium of investors in an UNCITRAL arbitration relating to an investment in China.
- Represented a European bank relating to an alleged fraud perpetrated in Asia.
- Represented a Japanese client in an asset tracing exercise in Asia, Europe, and the United States.
- Advised a global client on an internal investigation involving the misappropriation of funds and confidential information.
- Conducted compliance due diligence on M&A transaction involving subsidiaries in China, India, Japan, Malaysia, and the Philippines.
- Assisted a U.S.-listed company regarding FCPA and other issues raised by a whistleblower.
- Represented a multinational company in a mediation of a dispute with its former distributor.
- “Exporting Corruption Report 2018,” Transparency International (September 12, 2018)
- Quoted, “The lawyers using AI to keep tabs on new global sanctions,” The Financial Times (June 7, 2018)
- Co-author, “Keys To Corporate Social Responsibility Compliance: Part 4” Law360 (March 29, 2018)
- Co-author, “Keys To Corporate Social Responsibility Compliance: Part 3” Law360 (March 28, 2018)
- Co-author, “Keys To Corporate Social Responsibility Compliance: Part 2” Law360 (March 27, 2018)
- Co-author, “Keys To Corporate Social Responsibility Compliance: Part 1” Law360 (March 26, 2018)
- “Third parties – corruption risk and control,” Fraud Intelligence (June/July 2016)
- “Top tips – installing a culture of honesty,” The Corporate Treasurer (October/November 2012)
- “Anti-Corruption – A British, American and Japanese Perspective,” JCA Journal (January 2012)
- “Anti-corruption abroad - the U.K. gets in on the Act,” Compliance Insider (April 2010)
- Panelist, “Bracing for Regulatory Action in the Indian Pharma and Medical Device Industry,” Berkeley Research Group Debate, Mumbai India (October 2017)
- Panelist, “The FCPA Pilot Program and considerations in evaluating voluntary self-disclosure,” Ropes & Gray Medical Device Roundtable, Shanghai (May 2017)
- Panelist, “Crime Beat: Tackling Economic Crime Internally,” IDEX Legal Counsel Congress Conference, Mumbai (April 2017)
- Presenter, “Cybersecurity: Global Legal and Compliance Developments,” IDEX Legal Counsel Congress Roundtable, Mumbai (April 2017)
- “Supply Chain Compliance – Emerging Trends” and “Sales vs. Compliance – Exploring the Disconnect and Opportunities for Alignment”, Client Training – Major Indian Multinational Corporation (January 2017)
- “Sales vs. Compliance – Exploring the Disconnect and Opportunities for Alignment”, Ethixbase - 2nd Asia Pacific Ethics & Compliance Summit, Singapore (November 2016)
- “Regional Anticorruption Trends and Developments,” AdvaMed/APACMed Legal & Compliance Meeting, Singapore (November 2016)
- “Driving Purpose Through Responsible Manufacturing - The Legal and Regulatory Landscape,” Client’s Vendor Event (October 2016)
- “Practical Considerations for Obtaining an Effective Solution Through Arbitration,” In-House Counsel Forum, Seoul (October 2016)
- Panelist, “Stake in India: Emerging Issues for Sophisticated Investors,” IDEX Legal Counsel Congress Roundtable, Mumbai, India (April 2016)
- “Developments in International Anti-Corruption Law - Recent Enforcement Trends and Common Risk Areas in China” Ropes & Gray Tokyo Morning Briefing (March 2016)
- “Compliance: Navigating Commercial Pressures and Global Enforcement,” Chambers and Partners General Counsel Seminar in association with Ropes & Gray, Hong Kong (November 2015)
- “Creating an Anti-Fraud Culture Within Your Organization,” Global Legal Confex, Delhi (April 2015)
- “Global E-Discovery Series: Asia,” FTI Webinar (May 2014)
- “Investigating corruption in China – recent developments and practical experiences,” Momentum Anti-Corruption in High Risk Markets Webinar Series (May 2014)
- “Conducting investigations and collecting data for cross border cases,” InnoXcell Legal Big Data Symposium, Hong Kong (April 2014)
- “Internal Investigations of Corporate Wrongdoing: Best Practices,” 2013 Asia Ethics Summit, Hong Kong (December 2013)
- “Internal Investigations. An Ounce of Prevention Is Worth a Pound of Cure,” American Chamber of Commerce in Korea (Joint) Compliance & Ethics and Legal Affairs Committee Meeting, Seoul (January 2013)
- “UK Bribery Act: Ensuring your anti-corruption compliance procedures are adequate,” Beacon Corruption & Compliance South & South East Asia Summit, Singapore (September 2012)
- “Bribery and corruption - paying the price,” Hong Kong Institute of Chartered Secretaries (August 2012)
- “Lost in translation - eDiscovery tools in international arbitration,” Innoxcell Asia eDiscovery Exchange (June 2012)
- “The U.K. Bribery Act 2010: Legal, Compliance and Risk,” Innoxcell (October 2010)
- “Detecting & defending against corporate fraud,” ALB Webinar (June 2010)
- “Anti-Money Laundering Seminar for Lawyers,” the Law Society of Hong Kong and Narcotics Division, Security Bureau of the Government of the HKSAR (March 2010)