Andrew J. Dale
Andrew J. Dale is a partner in Ropes & Gray’s Hong Kong office and a member of the firm’s litigation and enforcement practice. He has almost 20 years’ experience in Asia, representing U.S.-based and international corporations in arbitration, compliance matters, corporate investigations and litigation.
Andrew combines the perspectives of a seasoned litigator and an experienced investigations attorney to identify and mitigate potential corruption-related and other compliance issues. He looks to take an innovative approach to his matters, leveraging technology, applying behavioral sciences research and striving to find creative solutions.
His longstanding presence in the region makes Andrew well equipped to provide pan-Asia counseling, and he regularly handles matters in China, India and elsewhere in South and Southeastern Asia. Experience that spans a broad range of investigations, industries and jurisdictions has honed his ability to anticipate issues and look beyond the obvious considerations. Most recently, Andrew has been advising clients on compliance challenges, investigation-related trends, proactive compliance measures and other matters in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak.
Andrew is recognized in Chambers Asia-Pacific and Chambers Global, as well as in The Legal 500 Asia Pacific. Clients quoted in Chambers praise his handling of regulatory investigations and his compliance advice, noting that he is "very strong in this space," and that "he's very thoughtful, consistent and gets right into the details."
A passionate advocate of pro bono work, Andrew co-chairs Ropes & Gray’s pro bono committee and maintains an active practice that includes advising local and regional NGOs focused on combating forced labor and human trafficking, among other matters.
- Leading investigations relating to accounting fraud, bribery and other misconduct for clients in a variety of industries in China, India and South East Asia.
- Advising numerous leading private equity and other asset managers on compliance due diligence, risk assessments, portfolio company reviews, training and compliance uplifts for their Asia investments.
- Acting for clients in HKIAC and ICC arbitrations relating to investments in and relationships with Asia-based businesses.
- Guiding investors through dispute resolution and risk mitigation strategy regarding complex issues arising before, during and on exit of investments and other commercial relationships in various jurisdictions in Asia.
- Co-author, “Hong Kong Is Becoming A Top Int'l Arbitration Venue,” Law360 (April 11, 2019)
- Co-author, “Key Amendment to India’s Anti-Corruption Legislation Has Significant Implications for Multinationals Doing Business in India,” Legal Era (April, 2019)
- “Exporting Corruption Report 2018,” Transparency International (September 12, 2018)
- Quoted, “The lawyers using AI to keep tabs on new global sanctions,” The Financial Times (June 7, 2018)
- Co-author, “Keys To Corporate Social Responsibility Compliance: Part 4,” Law360 (March 29, 2018)
- Co-author, “Keys To Corporate Social Responsibility Compliance: Part 3,” Law360 (March 28, 2018)
- Co-author, “Keys To Corporate Social Responsibility Compliance: Part 2,” Law360 (March 27, 2018)
- Co-author, “Keys To Corporate Social Responsibility Compliance: Part 1,” Law360 (March 26, 2018)
- “Third parties – corruption risk and control,” Fraud Intelligence (June/July 2016)
- “Top tips – installing a culture of honesty,” The Corporate Treasurer (October/November 2012)
- “Anti-Corruption – A British, American and Japanese Perspective,” JCA Journal (January 2012)
- “Anti-corruption abroad - the U.K. gets in on the Act,” Compliance Insider (April 2010)
- Speaker, “Enforcement and Compliance during COVID-19: Impact on Investigations and Expectations on Corporate Compliance Programs,” The Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) Hong Kong Event with Ropes & Gray (September 2020)
- Speaker, “Enforcement and Compliance during COVID-19: Impact on Investigations and Expectations on Corporate Compliance Programs,” Japan In-House Counsel Network (JICN) Event with Ropes & Gray (July 2020)
- Co-host, “China Investigations COVID-19: Potential risks and responses – Peer to Peer Virtual Roundtable Discussion,” (July 2020)
- Co-host, “India Compliance and Investigations COVID-19: Potential risks and responses – Peer to Peer Virtual Roundtable” (June 2020)
- Presenter, “Anti-Corruption in Southeast Asia,” Client Virtual Training (April 2020)
- Facilitator, “Asia Investigations COVID-19: Potential risks and responses – Peer to Peer Roundtable Discussion,” Virtual Roundtable (March, 2020)
- Facilitator, “Asia Investigations – Seeing around the Corner – Peer to Peer Roundtable Discussion,” Singapore (October 2019)
- Chair, “Investigations of personal conduct allegations,” HKICPA, Hong Kong (September 2019)
- Speaker, “Disrupting corruption – how is technology altering the efforts of investigators and the investigated?,” 2nd Annual GIR Live Singapore, Singapore (August 2019)
- HKICPA Panel Discussion: “The Trade War between China and the U.S.,” HKICPA Forensics Interest Group, Hong Kong (March 2019)
- Moderator, “Leveraging Data and Behavioral Sciences In Legal Risk Management,” Ropes & Gray Risk Management Roundtable, Hong Kong (January 2019)
- Presenter, “APAC Anti-Bribery Risks and Enforcement: What to Expect,” Financial Crime Intelligence Roundtable, Hong Kong (December 2018)
- Speaker, “2018 Tokyo Pharmaceutical Compliance Roundtable,” Ropes & Gray Pharmaceutical Roundtable, Tokyo (November 2018)
- Presenter, “Inspiring the Profession,” The 7th Asia Pro Bono Conference, Hong Kong (October 2018)
- Presenter, “Basic tenets for thriving in a heated compliance environment,” Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas Thought Leadership Initiative, Mumbai (October 2018)
- Panelist, “What are the real threats to your business? Managing compliance in today’s unpredictable business environment,” Ropes & Gray R2M2 roundtable, Tokyo (April 2018)
- Panelist, “What are the real threats to your business? Managing compliance in today’s unpredictable business environment,” Ropes & Gray R2M2 roundtable, Hong Kong (January 2018)
- Panelist, “Bracing for Regulatory Action in the Indian Pharma and Medical Device Industry,” Berkeley Research Group Debate, Mumbai India (October 2017)
- Panelist, “The FCPA Pilot Program and considerations in evaluating voluntary self-disclosure,” Ropes & Gray Medical Device Roundtable, Shanghai (May 2017)
- Panelist, “Crime Beat: Tackling Economic Crime Internally,” IDEX Legal Counsel Congress Conference, Mumbai (April 2017)
- Presenter, “Cybersecurity: Global Legal and Compliance Developments,” IDEX Legal Counsel Congress Roundtable, Mumbai (April 2017)
- “Supply Chain Compliance – Emerging Trends” and “Sales vs. Compliance – Exploring the Disconnect and Opportunities for Alignment”, Client Training – Major Indian Multinational Corporation (January 2017)
- “Sales vs. Compliance – Exploring the Disconnect and Opportunities for Alignment”, Ethixbase - 2nd Asia Pacific Ethics & Compliance Summit, Singapore (November 2016)
- “Regional Anticorruption Trends and Developments,” AdvaMed/APACMed Legal & Compliance Meeting, Singapore (November 2016)
- “Driving Purpose Through Responsible Manufacturing - The Legal and Regulatory Landscape,” Client’s Vendor Event (October 2016)
- “Practical Considerations for Obtaining an Effective Solution Through Arbitration,” In-House Counsel Forum, Seoul (October 2016)
- Panelist, “Stake in India: Emerging Issues for Sophisticated Investors,” IDEX Legal Counsel Congress Roundtable, Mumbai, India (April 2016)
- “Developments in International Anti-Corruption Law - Recent Enforcement Trends and Common Risk Areas in China” Ropes & Gray Tokyo Morning Briefing (March 2016)
- “Compliance: Navigating Commercial Pressures and Global Enforcement,” Chambers and Partners General Counsel Seminar in association with Ropes & Gray, Hong Kong (November 2015)
- “Creating an Anti-Fraud Culture Within Your Organization,” Global Legal Confex, Delhi (April 2015)
- “Global E-Discovery Series: Asia,” FTI Webinar (May 2014)
- “Investigating corruption in China – recent developments and practical experiences,” Momentum Anti-Corruption in High Risk Markets Webinar Series (May 2014)
- “Conducting investigations and collecting data for cross border cases,” InnoXcell Legal Big Data Symposium, Hong Kong (April 2014)
- “Internal Investigations of Corporate Wrongdoing: Best Practices,” 2013 Asia Ethics Summit, Hong Kong (December 2013)
- “Internal Investigations. An Ounce of Prevention Is Worth a Pound of Cure,” American Chamber of Commerce in Korea (Joint) Compliance & Ethics and Legal Affairs Committee Meeting, Seoul (January 2013)
- “UK Bribery Act: Ensuring your anti-corruption compliance procedures are adequate,” Beacon Corruption & Compliance South & South East Asia Summit, Singapore (September 2012)
- “Bribery and corruption - paying the price,” Hong Kong Institute of Chartered Secretaries (August 2012)
- “Lost in translation - eDiscovery tools in international arbitration,” Innoxcell Asia eDiscovery Exchange (June 2012)
- “The U.K. Bribery Act 2010: Legal, Compliance and Risk,” Innoxcell (October 2010)
- “Detecting & defending against corporate fraud,” ALB Webinar (June 2010)
- “Anti-Money Laundering Seminar for Lawyers,” the Law Society of Hong Kong and Narcotics Division, Security Bureau of the Government of the HKSAR (March 2010)
- Diploma in Legal Practice, College of Law of England and Wales, 1997
- LLB, University of Leicester, 1996