Caleb is an associate in the litigation department and a member of the firm’s government enforcement practice group. He represents clients in criminal and regulatory enforcement matters, civil and criminal litigation, internal investigations, and domestic and cross-border anti-corruption diligence. Caleb has experience representing clients in matters involving state and federal false claims acts, the Anti-Kickback Statute, federal securities laws, the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, anti-money laundering laws, and the Food, Drug, & Cosmetic Act. Caleb also maintains a practice in complex consumer protection litigation in the area of privacy and data security, working with corporate clients that have suffered data breaches or have been accused of privacy violations and representing them in connection with federal and state government investigations.
Caleb maintains an active pro bono practice, which has included the successful representation of a variety of clients in diverse settings, including a political asylum seeker from Ethiopia in immigration court, civil protective orders for victims of domestic violence, disputes between condo owners and their homeowners’ association, and applicants in social security disability appeals, as well as criminal defense matters.
- Defended health care client in federal investigation including allegations of kickbacks, illegal referrals, and other regulatory violations, and in follow-on civil litigation.
- Conducted multiple internal investigations arising from whistleblower allegations for a major multinational pharmaceutical company.
- Regularly advised private equity firms and portfolio companies on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and international risk issues in cross-border transactions, and in domestic transactions for risk related to federal health care and other anti-corruption laws.
- Assisted an energy company with the creation and implementation of a global anti‐corruption program. Conducted diligence on potential joint venture partners and agents in countries throughout Asia and the Middle East.
- Advised hospitals on litigation matters related to Medicare certification and decertification.
- Represented an international hotel chain in defense of a Federal Trade Commission lawsuit stemming from unauthorized network intrusions into certain hotels of the chain. Favorable settlement reached in December 2015.
- Represented criminal defendant in litigating post-conviction innocence claims after 30 plus years of incarceration.
- Represented voting rights organization on constitutional and statutory civil rights claims concerning voter registration in trial and appellate proceedings in federal court.
- Co-author, “Difficult Choices: Self-Reporting in Light of New DOJ FCPA Policy on Presumption of Declination,” Bloomberg BNA’s White Collar Crime Report (December 22, 2017)
- Author, “UK MOJ Calls for Evidence to Weigh Reform Effort Aimed at Tightening Corporate Criminal Liability” Gray Matters (March 21, 2017)
- Co-author, “LabMD and FTC's Attempt to Expand Data Security Authority,” Law360 (August 3, 2016)
- Co-author, “The Expanding Role of Government Enforcers in the Area of Consumer Products,” Bloomberg BNA Corporate Law & Accountability Report, (October 9, 2015)