Cara Dermody is an associate in the corporate department, practicing primarily in the health care and life sciences groups. She provides regulatory, transactional, and compliance advice to clients across the health care industry, including hospitals and health systems, universities and medical schools, and management services organizations.
Cara also maintains an active pro bono practice focused on family and immigration law. She has represented clients successfully in guardianship and child support proceedings.
During law school, Cara interned at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia’s Office of General Counsel and the National Partnership for Women and Families. She also served as an executive editor for the University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law and received a joint degree in bioethics.
Prior to law school, Cara worked at the health care foundation The Commonwealth Fund, providing research and grantmaking support to its Vulnerable Populations program.
- Advised academic medical center in the formation of an accountable care organization participating in the Medicare Shared Savings Program
- Advised health systems and management services organizations in HIPAA compliance, including the development of policies and procedures and compliance with breach notification obligations
- Advised management services organizations in formation and corporate governance matters
- Advised private equity firms on investment considerations for health care targets, including a revenue cycle management company, a management services organization, and a network of physician group practices
- Counseled health insurance company in connection with its potential acquisition of another health insurance company
- Advised academic medical center on fraud and abuse considerations in connection with its affiliation with a neighboring hospital
- Co-author, “Delaware's amendments apply market-out exception to appraisal rights for Section 251(h) mergers,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (April 3, 2019)
- Co-author, “HHS is Embracing a Broader Vision of Health Care,” Law360 (February 21, 2019)
- Co-author, “A Look Inside CMS' New Medicare Shared Savings Program,” Law360 (January 14, 2019)
- Co-author, “Future MACRA Concerns For Hospitals And Health Systems,” Law360 (November, 22, 2017)
- Co-author, “Health Care in the Two Americas: Findings from the Scorecard on State Health System Performance for Low-Income Populations,” The Commonwealth Fund (September 18, 2013)
- Co-author, “How the Affordable Care Act Supports a High-Performing Safety Net,” The Commonwealth Fund Blog Post (January 16, 2012)
- Co-author, “Ensuring Equity: A Post-Reform Framework to Achieve High Performance Health Care for Vulnerable Populations,” The Commonwealth Fund (October 7, 2011)
- JD, University of Pennsylvania Law School, 2016; Pro Bono Service Award for Exceptional Service; executive editor, University of Pennsylvania Law School Journal of Constitutional Law
- MA (Bioethics), University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, 2016
- MPA, Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs, 2013
- BA (History of Science, History of Medicine), Yale University, 2009
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2016