David Dowling joined the corporate and private equity transactions group of Ropes & Gray in 2017. Prior to joining the firm, David was an associate in the corporate and private equity team of the London office of an international law firm. David has also worked internationally, including as a secondee to Singapore during his training.
David has a wide range of experience advising clients on M&A transactions and providing general corporate law advice. He has significant experience of acting for private equity investors and portfolio companies on a range of issues, including acquisitions, disposals, management incentivisation and corporate restructurings.
David also maintains an active pro bono practice with a focus on impact investing and social enterprises, as well as social welfare issues.
David lectures on the law of international private equity finance on the LLM at King’s College London, and delivers lectures to law students at City University London.
David was recognized as “Trainee Solicitor of the Year” in 2013 by All About Law.
- Acting for CDC Group, the UK’s development finance institution and the world’s oldest DFI, on its investment in M-Kopa, a leading provider of off-grid solar energy in East Africa
- Acting for the management of Ocean Outdoor, the UK market leader in premium digital out-of-home media, on the sale of the business to Ocelot, a listed SPAC
- Acting for Ensono, a portfolio company of Charlesbank Capital, on its acquisition of the hosted data center services business from Wipro Limited, the IT consulting company in India
- Acting for BigHand, a leading provider of productivity software to the legal market – and a portfolio company of Bridgepoint, the international private equity group – on its acquisition of DW Reporting, a legal business intelligence and matter pricing provider
- Acting for Bain Capital on its acquisition of NGA UK, a UK payroll and HR Business from NGA Human Resources
Notable transactions in which David has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Acting for Investcorp on its sale of GL Education, a leading London-based provider of educational assessments, to Levine Leichtman Capital Partners (LLCP).
- Acting for Investcorp and its portfolio company SecureLink on their acquisition of Nebulas Solutions, the United Kingdom’s largest independent cybersecurity service provider.
- Acting for Apollo Global Management in relation to its acquisition of a portfolio of 22 Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn branded hotels in the UK.
- Acting for Apollo Global Management on the sale of the Kensington Forum Hotel to Queensgate Investments.
- Acting for Liberty Hall Capital Partners in relation to its acquisition of Dunlop Aircraft Tyres from AAC Capital Partners.
- Acting for the Nazer Group in its partial sale of Bupa Arabia, the largest health insurer in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, to Bupa.
- Acting for Stroz Friedberg in relation to international corporate acquisitions.
- Acting for Virgin Active in relation to the acquisition of a controlling interest by Brait.
- Acting for Lone Star in relation to its acquisition of Hanson Building Products for USD 1.4 billion.
- Acting for Laird plc in relation to international corporate acquisitions.
- Author, “Cyber-Attacks: The Global Response,” Risk, Governance & Compliance for Financial Institutions (April 6, 2015)
- Speaker, PILnet European Pro Bono Forum (2014)