David Dowling joined the corporate and private equity transactions group of Ropes & Gray in 2017. Prior to joining the firm, David was an associate in the corporate and private equity team of the London office of an international law firm. David has also worked internationally, including as a secondee to Singapore during his training.
David has a wide range of experience advising clients on M&A transactions and providing general corporate law advice. He has significant experience of acting for private equity and growth investors and their portfolio companies on a range of issues, including acquisitions, equity investments, disposals, management incentivisation and corporate restructurings.
David has an active interest in impact investing, having advised a range of different impact investors. David is a board member of ESELA - The Legal Network for Social Impact, and regularly participates in conferences and academic discussions on impact investing. David also maintains an active pro bono practice with a focus on impact investing and social enterprises.
David also has an active interest in emerging markets, representing investors in Africa. He is a member of the firm’s Indian initiative, having advised on a number of Indian investments and acquisitions.
David is the course leader and guest lecturer on the law of international private equity finance on the LLM at King’s College London.
David was recognized as “Trainee Solicitor of the Year” in 2013 by All About Law.
- Advised a global private equity house on its acquisition of a manufacturer of specialty medical devices
- Acting for Bain Capital in connection with:
- the acquisition of NGA UK, a UK payroll and HR business from NGA Human Resources
- the acquisition of Benefex, an HR technology business
- Acting for Baring Private Equity Asia in connection with:
- its acquisition of CitiusTech, a specialist provider based in India of technology solutions to health care organisations
- it and PAI Partners’ acquisition of World Freight Company International, the global leader in the General Sales and Service Agent market
- its purchase of approximately 18.85 million NIIT Technologies Limited shares—approximately 30% shareholding on a fully diluted basis in NIIT Technologies—from NIIT Limited and other promoter entities at a price of INR 1394 per share
- Acting for CDC Group, the UK’s development finance institution and the world’s oldest DFI, in connection with its investment in:
- M-Kopa, a leading provider of off-grid solar energy in East Africa
- iMerit, an artificial intelligence and machine learning platform in India
- Acting for PG Impact Investments in relation to its senior and mezzanine financing to Tugende, a Ugandan based provider of lease-to-own financing to the financially excluded
- Advised Kupanda Holdings - a joint venture between Kupanda Capital and TPG Growth - on its partnership with Mavin Global, Africa's industry-leading music label
- Advised a consortium of development finance institutions and impact investors on a convertible debt investment in an African energy company
- Advised the Caribbean Biodiversity Fund in connection with various grant agreements with local trust funds and other environmental and conservation stakeholders in the wider Caribbean region
- Advised an Asian private equity house on its acquisition of a provider based in India of software services with focus on the communications industry
- Advised a global medical technology provider on its acquisition of a UK based AI business
- Advised a global biotechnology company on its acquisition of a clinical-stage gene therapy company pursuant to a Part 26 Scheme of Arrangement
- Acting for Altamont Capital Partners on its exit from McLarens, an international provider of loss adjusting services, as part of an investment by Lee Equity Partners
- Acting for the management of Ocean Outdoor, the UK market leader in premium digital out-of-home media, on the sale of the business to Ocelot, a listed SPAC
- Acting for Ensono, a portfolio company of Charlesbank Capital, on its acquisition of the hosted data center services business from Wipro Limited, the IT consulting company in India
- Acting for BigHand, a leading provider of productivity software to the legal market – and a portfolio company of Bridgepoint, the international private equity group – on its acquisition of DW Reporting, a legal business intelligence and matter pricing provider
Notable transactions in which David has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Acting for Investcorp on its sale of GL Education, a leading London-based provider of educational assessments, to Levine Leichtman Capital Partners (LLCP).
- Acting for Investcorp and its portfolio company SecureLink on their acquisition of Nebulas Solutions, the United Kingdom’s largest independent cybersecurity service provider.
- Acting for Apollo Global Management in relation to its acquisition of a portfolio of 22 Crowne Plaza and Holiday Inn branded hotels in the UK.
- Acting for Apollo Global Management on the sale of the Kensington Forum Hotel to Queensgate Investments.
- Acting for Liberty Hall Capital Partners in relation to its acquisition of Dunlop Aircraft Tyres from AAC Capital Partners.
- Acting for the Nazer Group in its partial sale of Bupa Arabia, the largest health insurer in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, to Bupa.
- Acting for Stroz Friedberg in relation to international corporate acquisitions.
- Acting for Virgin Active in relation to the acquisition of a controlling interest by Brait.
- Acting for Lone Star in relation to its acquisition of Hanson Building Products for USD 1.4 billion.
- Acting for Laird plc in relation to international corporate acquisitions.
- Author, “Cyber-Attacks: The Global Response,” Risk, Governance & Compliance for Financial Institutions (April 6, 2015)
- Conference Coordinator & Panelist, The Impact Revolution: The Role of Law and Lawyers, ESELA Conference, London School of Economics (2019)
- Conference Program Committee & Panelist, Grunin Center for Law and Social Entrepreneurship, NYU Law School (2018)
- Attendee, the Global Impact Investing Network, Paris (2018)
- Speaker, PILnet European Pro Bono Forum (2014)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- Legal Practice Course, Commendation, University of Law, Moorgate, 2012
- Graduate Diploma in Law, Commendation, City University, London, 2011
- BA (Theology), 1st Class Honours, Oxford University, Oriel College, 2010; Gibbs Prize